Give away pictures for free???

Charge them $25 for a 45 min session plus expenses. Or whatever you like. I could never get anyone to model for free and give them 13 x 19 prints for free. If you can get paid, great for you! That is why I am a street photog, we are not dependent on models

I would suggest you post some of your best images for C&C, and let us help you determine whether or not you are at a level where you should even consider starting a business. Most people on Facebook are clueless about photography, and that is not necessarily a good way to judge your potential.

We do teach here, if it is needed or wanted.

In general, if you are good enough to charge... then you should charge! If you are not.. then you shouldn't be charging (IMO)!

lol. i totally get where you're coming from, but man does this sound more than a bit pretentious. it seems like the majority of members on this site are hobbiests and low level semi-professionals. not exactly an expert jury on what customers want or are willing to pay for imo.

it seems to me what really matters is the opinion of the paying customer base. so ironically even though facebook may not a good measure how good a person is as a photographer, it may be actually be a better gauge as to how well someone will do as a business since it more closely relates to the opinions of your customer base (to some degree). i've see plenty of so-so photographers get plenty of paying customers through facebook or other customer networking. none of that necessarily relates (or correlates) to the opinions of those more involved in the field.

Trust me, when I tell you, with all due respect, you will not win that arguement on this forum. Save yourself some time and go take some pictures.

i would probably agree, it's no surprise that the vast majority of the people on here have a bit more interest in producing and valuing quality work versus marketable work (and this is a good thing). but all i'm saying is you don't necessarily have to be a good photographer in the eyes of experts to be marketable in the eyes of the general paying public. and that's a fact demonstrated by the continued existence of many fully employed so-so photographers or photo studios (sears portrait studios, etc.). this also applies to many fields, food, art, film, ... honestly these days i see plenty of seasoned vets with huge customer bases with work that's not all that, and plenty of good photographers that struggle to get work. business success is so much more than just the quality (at least the quality in my eyes) of the work. dunno perhaps charlie and all the rest of you really do have your finger the pulse of her intended market (which right now seems to be kids pictures for her friends), but I don't. So I'll gladly give cc, advice, praise, etc., but I have no delusions about how my evaluation of her work has direct correlation with how well she could do as a business.

Last edited:
I have just bought some tools from a retired surgeon at our camera club i have already done 1 heart bypass op but wondered what to charge for the next one because i have lots of friend asking for one

lol. i totally get where you're coming from, but man does this sound more than a bit pretentious. it seems like the majority of members on this site are hobbiests and low level semi-professionals. not exactly an expert jury on what customers want or are willing to pay for imo.

it seems to me what really matters is the opinion of the paying customer base. so ironically even though facebook may not a good measure how good a person is as a photographer, it may be actually be a better gauge as to how well someone will do as a business since it more closely relates to the opinions of your customer base (to some degree). i've see plenty of so-so photographers get plenty of paying customers through facebook or other customer networking. none of that necessarily relates (or correlates) to the opinions of those more involved in the field.

Trust me, when I tell you, with all due respect, you will not win that arguement on this forum. Save yourself some time and go take some pictures.

i would probably agree, it's no surprise that the vast majority of the people on here have a bit more interest in producing and valuing quality work versus marketable work (and this is a good thing). but all i'm saying is you don't necessarily have to be a good photographer in the eyes of experts to be marketable in the eyes of the general paying public. and that's a fact demonstrated by the continued existence of many fully employed so-so photographers or photo studios (sears portrait studios, etc.). this also applies to many fields, food, art, film, ... honestly these days i see plenty of seasoned vets with huge customer bases with work that's not all that, and plenty of good photographers that struggle to get work. business success is so much more than just the quality (at least the quality in my eyes) of the work. dunno perhaps charlie and all the rest of you really do have your finger the pulse of her exact intended market (which right now seems to be kids pictures for her friends). but I don't, and certainly won't be making any claims about how my evaluation of her work has direct correlation with how well she could do as a business.
True; even rather lacklustre photographers can do very well if they're good at marketing, but I think the part that you may have overlooked was the, "All my Facebook friends think my pictures are great". Friends (unless your friends are photographers) will always think your work is great because (1) they're your friends; (2) it's better than they can do, and (3) they're your friends. This is akin to designing your own dress and then asking your mother if she thinks it looks good.

Putting aside the whole business aspect of things (because there's a LOT that you have to do before you start actually charging for services), get your photographic skills where they need to be. There are a number of accomplished experts who spend time here will help get you where you need to be.

i would probably agree, it's no surprise that the vast majority of the people on here have a bit more interest in producing and valuing quality work versus marketable work (and this is a good thing). but all i'm saying is you don't necessarily have to be a good photographer in the eyes of experts to be marketable in the eyes of the general paying public. and that's a fact demonstrated by the continued existence of many fully employed so-so photographers or photo studios (sears portrait studios, etc.). this also applies to many fields, food, art, film, ... honestly these days i see plenty of seasoned vets with huge customer bases with work that's not all that, and plenty of good photographers that struggle to get work. business success is so much more than just the quality (at least the quality in my eyes) of the work. dunno perhaps charlie and all the rest of you really do have your finger the pulse of her exact intended market (which right now seems to be kids pictures for her friends). but I don't, and certainly won't be making any claims about how my evaluation of her work has direct correlation with how well she could do as a business.

So mediocre is ok, as long as you can get paid for it? Sure... improving would be a waste of time if you can already get paid, right?

Lots of helpful information here. Thanks so much! I don't mind offering free sessions to help build my portfolio. But I just don't want to set a bad precedent because in the next few years (once my girls start school), I do want to go into business full time. My biggest issue was how he feels since they are my friends I should just give them the pictures on a CD. The thing is, I know what I would have done back before I knew anything about photography---- if someone had given me a CD of pics, I would have taken it to Walgreens for development. I work hard at my photos so I don't just want them printed at Walgreen quality. My other issue is if I tell them how much the pictures are at cost then in a few years when I try to charge them 10-20 times that, they will know that my prices are inflated.

What is the best way to post pictures here? Directly from my computer or from a URL? I don't mind posting with hopes of getting helpful feedback and not too much criticism (I've already admitted I'm still learning!)

Lots of helpful information here. Thanks so much! I don't mind offering free sessions to help build my portfolio. But I just don't want to set a bad precedent because in the next few years (once my girls start school), I do want to go into business full time. My biggest issue was how he feels since they are my friends I should just give them the pictures on a CD. The thing is, I know what I would have done back before I knew anything about photography---- if someone had given me a CD of pics, I would have taken it to Walgreens for development. I work hard at my photos so I don't just want them printed at Walgreen quality. My other issue is if I tell them how much the pictures are at cost then in a few years when I try to charge them 10-20 times that, they will know that my prices are inflated.

What is the best way to post pictures here? Directly from my computer or from a URL? Idon't mind posting with hopes of getting helpful feedback and not too much criticism (I've already admitted I'm still learning!)

Either! You can use a site like Flickr and post the HTML tags

$flicr.JPG

or you can to go to the UPLOAD PICTURE icon

$tpf.jpg

and select an image from your computer! Typically 60-70% web compression and 1000 pixels long side recommended

Last edited:
" I work hard at my photos so I don't just want them printed at Walgreen quality."

So, you've done a lot of comparative exploration of various printers and print quality and have come to the conclusion that Walgreens is not 'good enough' for your 'work'? Sorry, but I'm guessing you have more to worry about than whether or not people print at Walgreens. For the record, I use Walgreens for my printing needs, and am just fine with that. Your Facebook friends won't know the difference between there and anywhere else.

$SkyleighBeachWatermark-L.jpg

$EllieBathWatermark-L.jpg

$EasterHank-L.jpg

$AidenWatermark-L.jpg

$PaytonBeachWatermark-L.jpg

Attachments

• $EllieBathWatermark-X2.jpg
    $EllieBathWatermark-X2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 126
" I work hard at my photos so I don't just want them printed at Walgreen quality."

So, you've done a lot of comparative exploration of various printers and print quality and have come to the conclusion that Walgreens is not 'good enough' for your 'work'? Sorry, but I'm guessing you have more to worry about than whether or not people print at Walgreens. For the record, I use Walgreens for my printing needs, and am just fine with that. Your Facebook friends won't know the difference between there and anywhere else.

I think there are plenty of people out there who will know the difference. I took photos for my neighbors yesterday and before we even got started they were asking me for a recommendation of where to have them printed. Clearly some people care and will appreciate the difference of quality printing.

I disagree. I think the quality of Walgreens prints suck and it is very easy to tell the difference between them and a print that actually gets the colors correct.

I disagree. I think the quality of Walgreens prints suck and it is very easy to tell the difference between them and a print that actually gets the colors correct.

I would have to agree! lol!

#1.. cute.. nice use of flash. I wish you had not chopped off mom's wrists...

#2.. cute kid. To bright... take exposure down a notch or two

#3 ok

#4 not bad.. but a mom shot.. only a mom would love it.

#5 Love it.. she is gorgeous! A bit too tightly framed... but the horizontal works here. I hope you also took a vertical shot like this.. with the girl emphasized more.

When you get machine prints run off on a very,very,very expensive, leased printer made by Noritsu or FujiFilm corp (you know the same machines used by Walgreens, Sam's Club,Costco), the key is to make sure that YOUR order is always printed out by ONLY the "right" pimply-faced kid that runs the machine. Usually, the slightly balding middle-aged manager type guy will mess up your prints, but the pimply-faced kid who's really "into it" will be the one that makes the better prints.

Printing depends a lot on the operator, and how well the machines are maintained and kept up to spec.

Most reactions

Back