Give me the good...the bad....and it cant be ugly cuz shes so darn cute!

Haha love the rolls!

The whole thing looks soft. Her face looks mostly out of focus or soft and what looks the most in focus (to me on this monitor) is the edge of the seat that's in the bottom left of the picture. I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of her because she is cute! ;)

As TenaciousTins has said, fuzzy and out of focus. When you take pictures of people, any kind of people, the one thing that I am looking for is sharpness in the eyes (you did get a catchlight in the eyes which is a good thing) - well, I am also looking for other compositional things as well, but if the eyes are not sharp, unless they are closed, then it looks just like any other snapshot that is out of focus. You might check here and the following article as well: Baby Photography Techniques & Tips For New Parents .

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Looks fine to me. Yeah it could be a little sharper, but I think it looks pretty good. The softness away from the face is nice.

As has been said it's soft also I would add a little over exposed. My guess is, your using a pretty large aperture. Try stopping down. You'll lose some of the shallow dof effect but have a better chance of hitting the focus. Next time try taking a bracket of three shots each a 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop apart. Then compare those shots.

I used to always shoot my fast prime at 1.4. Once I realized I could still get great shallow dof at f2 but much more sharpness and a better infocus ratio my image quality image quality.

The metadata shows an fstop of 1.8 which has create many of the issues mentioned in the above posts.

Those lens are tricky to use and in this case I find the rest of the body of the baby distracting as it appears distorted.

I would also recommend trying for a better facial expression. Yes, babies are adorable, but not so much when they have a slight look of discomfort on their face. Maybe that's just me? I know often times emotional connection to a child can override that sort of objective viewing of the shot, but take it for what its worth. Also, I think the lighting could use some work. Seems way to harsh in certain parts of the frame. I am not sure what your light source was, but perhaps some diffusion to soften the light and spread it more evenly would be better.

Thanx so much for all the tips........That pic was taken in front of some floor to ceiling windows.

I think since you used 1.8 your DOF was way too shallow for this photo to be sharp.... from that angle. 1.8 with your 50mm gives you a very narrow DOF. Your shutter was 1/640, go down on that a bit and shoot like F4.

Most reactions

Back