Glasses - Eliminating Glare?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I keep running into the issues of getting glare from people wearing glasses.

$diagram.jpg

This is the setup I am using for headshots. The flash and opaque reflector are about 3-4 feet away from the subject. Is that too close?

I need to make this work with the tools I have.

If its a staged shot and you've time to setup how about using a polarizer? That would cut out the reflections and if you're already using flash light for the main light in the shot you just bump up the power to counter the exposure loss.

If its a staged shot and you've time to setup how about using a polarizer? That would cut out the reflections and if you're already using flash light for the main light in the shot you just bump up the power to counter the exposure loss.

I don't have a polarizer.

It's all a matter of angles; either raise or lower the strobe slightly (assuming you don't want to move it left/right), or have the subject turn their head slighly more or less.

3' is not too close at all; in fact the reflector in this shot was only just out of camera view image right; about 6" from her shoulder and 12-14" from her head.

Example to show us what too much glare is for you?

This snapshot used almost the same setup as yours.

5466804475_67c2712b46_z.jpg

Its all about the light angle vs the glass angle and from where your taking the shot.

i like to shoot at longer focal length so you can move around a little bit without changing perspective much. polarizer will help.
Also, shooting with a really large light source will also make the shadows created by glasses less noticeable considering that the distance between the face and the glasses is pretty thin. shooting closer from your main light source will also help hide the shadows are you are shooting in the same direction as the light. (works for frontal shots)

Its all about the light angle vs the glass angle and from where your taking the shot.

i like to shoot at longer focal length so you can move around a little bit without changing perspective much. polarizer will help.
Also, shooting with a really large light source will also make the shadows created by glasses less noticeable considering that the distance between the face and the glasses is pretty thin. shooting closer from your main light source will also help hide the shadows are you are shooting in the same direction as the light. (works for frontal shots)

Yeah I could only get my flash as high as my tripod would go (6ft).

As others have mentioned, it's all about the angles. However, there is another little trick you can employ. Have the subject to slightly raise their ear pieces OFF the ears (read angles).

Before
LightingEyeglasses-normalrestweb.jpg

After
LightingEyeglasses-raisedweb.jpg

Disclaimer:
I realize the example is exaggerated, but it was done quickly for someone else who had the same question. Self portraits are a hard gig. :biggrin:

Oh that is a great idea! Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back