What's new

Glasses Macro, What Do You Think?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=+4][/SIZE][/FONT]Hello,

This is a photo I took with my new Nikon D5100. I'm still trying to figure out the aperture settings, etc., and I couldn't quite get the depth of field I was looking for, but I think it turned out okay. However, I would like to figure out how to get the whole of my glasses in focus, aka, a wider depth of field? How do I do that, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daryll
 

Attachments

  • $Glasses.webp
    $Glasses.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
At such a close distance, even f/22 to f/32 will probably **not** be able to bridge the distance from the fore-most part of the glasses and the back-most part of them. It is just that a very deep DOF is needed in this scenario, and at close ranges, deep DOF is not possible with a fixed-back camera and a lens with no movements. Focus stacking of multiple shots is one option that *would* allow you to create a complete DOF coverage.

If however the angle of the glasses were to be shifted a bit, you could "pull" enough Depth of Field.
 
At such a close distance, even f/22 to f/32 will probably **not** be able to bridge the distance from the fore-most part of the glasses and the back-most part of them. It is just that a very deep DOF is needed in this scenario, and at close ranges, deep DOF is not possible with a fixed-back camera and a lens with no movements. Focus stacking of multiple shots is one option that *would* allow you to create a complete DOF coverage.

If however the angle of the glasses were to be shifted a bit, you could "pull" enough Depth of Field.

Okay, what is focus stacking? I would take two pictures, each focused like on half the picture, then merge them together? What, cut and paste? And thanks! Ha, we have the same name! (Homonym)
 
Yes, focus stacking involves taking multiple images, each shot with a slightly different focus point, and then using software to merge the multiple images into one single image with deep,clear focus! Pretty amazing what software can do!

Here's an article with some links to both commercial and free software for focus stacking. Focus Stacking Software
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom