Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night, I was privileged to attend the annual candlelight tribute at God's Acre, the Veteran's Cemetery in Victoria. It is a tribute to the past, present and future servicemen and women, and after some briefs greetings and speeches by local military and political folk, candles are placed beside each headstone with the idea being that an older person (Veteran, serving member or family member) takes the candle and passes it to a younger person who in turn places it on the grave, symbolically linking the past to the present to the future. All in all it was a very moving and memorable event.

These are by no means my best (or even good) work since my first priority was NOT to be that idiot photographer who ruined things for others by getting in the way, etc (Unlike the local newspaper @$$hat who walked across the graves, shot in machine-gun mode during Oh Canada and God save the Queen, etc). Comments are welcome.

GodsAcre%20%281%29.JPG

Rear-Admiral Gilles Couturier, Commander Maritime Forces Pacific greets local sea cadets waiting to take part in the ceremony.

GodsAcre%20%282%29.JPG

Canadian Scottish, Pipes & Drums in some really pretty light

GodsAcre%20%283%29.JPG

A Veteran and scout leader places a candle with a child.

GodsAcre%20%285%29.JPG

Some of the markers...

GodsAcre%20%286%29.JPG

Veteran and cadets immediately following the moment of silence.

GodsAcre%20%287%29.JPG

Rear-Admiral Couturier placing a candle with a member of the Victoria Air Cadet Squardron

GodsAcre%20%288%29.JPG

The Right Honourable Judith Guichon, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia and a Girl Guide about to place their candle

Very moving.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Very moving shots. Nicely done. The second one is my absolute favorite.

To me the markers into infinity is the best because it reminds one of the enormous sacrifices made by our military. Shortly after the Vietnam Memorial Wall was unveiled I had the opportunity to visit and view. I remember thinking when walking up that it was rather plain, then as I got closer and the thousands of names carved in the stone came into view the feeling of loss that swept over me overwhelming.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back