What's new

Going back to Hawaii need help

briand7878

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in Hawaii a few months ago and took my nikon d90 with my Nikon 70-200 lens. When taking beach pics, all of my pics were useless and blown out. Hawaii is just to BRIGHT!! I have been debating a cpl filter to help combat this. Is this what you would do or do you have some different advice? Also when I go to Maui I would like to take some water fall pics. I want the effect of the smooth smoky looking water. This will obviously have to be taken in the sme mega bright light. Will a nd filter accomplish this for me and can you also use a graduated nd square filter for this. I have been searching and searching the forums but im still lost. Please help.

Thanks
 
use a smaller aperture.

a cpl will be useless in order to reduce brightness.
the alternative to a smaller aperture would be a neutral density filter

0.3 = 1 stop 0.6 =2 0.9 = 3 etc.
 
Im pretty sure a CPL will cut at least a little bit of light.. But yeah, they make some dark ND filters, and you can also stack them.. You can also just go out in the morning / evening, the light will be more pleasant anyhow.
 
I am not sure about the filters but you could just stop down on the aperture and use a higher shutter speed...

For the waterfalls, use a tripod and a longer shutter speed.

I'm going in September and have been researching this as well. If you find out about the filters please do tell. Also please post your pics when you get back!
 
A CPOL is most definitely NOT useless for reducing light. A CPOL will reduce between 2/3 and 1 1/3 stops. Shooting in Hawaii is a bit tricky: reduce ISO as low as it will go, and stock up on neutral density filters, and always use your CPOL -

Here are a couple of panos I shot from the top of Diamond Head WITH a CPOL. Note the definition in the clouds and rich sky and water tones:

Pano (6)

Pano (7)

Pano (10)
 
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Tirediron, very nice pictures!!
 
lived in Honolulu most of my childhood. great place to grow up. tirediron, those are some great panos, they bring back some fond memories.
 
Umm...stupid question, but what exactly us a cpol?
 
CPOL = circular polarizing filter. It eliminates reflections when the front part is rotated. There is more to it than that, but essentially that is what it does. Colors look more saturated as a result. Handy filter to have.

OP probably doesn't need ND filters. He just needs to use his camera better.
 
Remember that a CP works best at 90 degree angles to the sun, if your shooting with the sun in front of you or behind you, it won't help much. ND filters would work better in most cases. They are both helpful if used in the right situations.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom