Going from drawing to photography, a little difficulty

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been into photography for a very short time now. I've been drawing for almost 10 years. I feel like my perspective on what makes a good photo is vastly different then what people who have been at photography for a while see.

I really enjoy the more simple photography like food photography, an up-close shot of a coffee mug at a cafe setting, stuff like that. I guess because in drawing you're not looking to "make a story out of a subject" (I mean I guess you would in some situations, but I'm more into realistic sketchwork), in drawing you pick a picture of a subject to draw and you make the image around that. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the amazing photographs as well, but I really really like still life.

Another thing is in drawing, the goal is a lot more literal. You're trying to make something look as realistic and close to the reference as possible. In photography there seems to be a lot of emphasis on making your photographs tells a story.

it's also a little hard for me being a beginner again. I haven't been a beginner for 10 years. I've been really good at something for a long time and it's a bit discerning being at square one with something.

Just some stuff I thought I'd share.

Welcome to the forum,

My opinion differs. I see no difference other than the media used to create art. I mean that I disagree with your statement that it's different. Art is a very large and fully encompassing subject. Your particular style of photography can be exactly as you would draw for example. I see no reason why not.

[h=3]art/ärt/
[/h]
Noun:
  1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
  2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.
Pretty open to interpretation ;)

Whether drawing or doing photography...it's all about light. When you're drawing something, you can basically invent the lighting, but you probably have to be aware of what your lighting for the scene/object is. In photography, it's all about finding or creating the best lighting and simply using the camera to capture that.

well, the one issue here is that in photography it's relatively easy to make a picture look completely realistic. So that aim by itself isn't really strived for. But if you like a plain white coffee cup, you like a plain white coffee cup. What interests you interests you.

well, the one issue here is that in photography it's relatively easy to make a picture look completely realistic. So that aim by itself isn't really strived for. But if you like a plain white coffee cup, you like a plain white coffee cup. What interests you interests you.

Yeah... now try making a photo look like a piece of art. That will show you how photography is less like science and more like art.

Sorry, I don't think you get it yet. You will if you have passion. You have to have passion to be a drawing artist. Compare a snapshot with a painting by - say Rubens. Rubens planned his work with composition and lighting that looked photographic. I try to turn that around. It is a constant struggle.

I disagree. You can take a snapshot of a coffee cup and thats what you see, is it realistic? Sort of, although it may lack depth and/or dynamic range. Or you can plan out your shot and create a photograph(with close attention to lighting) where you think you can reach out and pick it up, or can literally smell your morning brew from the site.

Here's a few that have been created:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRESWMEO07Ly5juFZ1icRy7pNUQvv-rhYg3WU-GjKGXWJ68OrXgLA

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgMBO_kLnIi1QsLjgebMcWdYE8PyL4R5VTktwRTiQqjupz5FtZ4g

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1g4swV-dk_FtEOf1xBjcYowueBFm-dAfVq5BwNkoMCvMX5D5N

Here's one thats just a snap:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu0SEp12ldVd7AphWHNlolljutO3zK-xVejlnrETk_7-FCZgoMsA

Huge difference in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with loving still life!

OP, your a step ahead of many. You understand how to sketch. Think of photography as sketching with light.

Welcome to the forum,

My opinion differs. I see no difference other than the media used to create art. I mean that I disagree with your statement that it's different. Art is a very large and fully encompassing subject. Your particular style of photography can be exactly as you would draw for example. I see no reason why not.

[h=3]art/ärt/
[/h]
Noun:

I have to disagree with this lol. Drawing and photography are completely different to create. Think of it this way: You have a boat, 18 wheeler, stick shift, manual, and a helicopter. They all are the for the same purpose (as all mediums are to create works of art) to get a person from point A to B, but how you operate them to get the results needed are completely different. And the manner of which they get there vary immensly from which vehicle to the other.

ahh, but I draw, paint, sculpt and enjoy photography too. It's just another medium, photography. Argue if you want but you'll not convince me otherwise. ;)

Welcome to the forum,

[h=3]art/ärt/
[/h]
Noun:

I have to disagree with this lol. Drawing and photography are completely different to create. Think of it this way: You have a boat, 18 wheeler, stick shift, manual, and a helicopter. They all are the for the same purpose (as all mediums are to create works of art) to get a person from point A to B, but how you operate them to get the results needed are completely different. And the manner of which they get there vary immensly from which vehicle to the other.

Your actually agreeing with him.

Also why would you say "I guess because in drawing you're not looking to "make a story out of a subject"." and "Another thing is in drawing, the goal is a lot more literal. You're trying to make something look as realistic and close to the reference as possible."

This is only your personal view on the subject.

The medium is the medium is just the medium. The end result is your interpatation of the view in front of you or in your mind.

I also draw, mainly portraits. I was an artist before a photographer of any skill and I really didn't find the transition that hard. Good composition is good composition whether it's a drawing or a photograph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back