Going on Scott Kelby's Photo Walk - What Lens?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Our local walk is a night one and I'm not 100% sure which lens to take along.

1. Nikon 35-70 f/2.8
2. Nikon 50mm f/1.4
3. Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3

I'm thinking the Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 but would love to hear what more experienced folks have to say.

I just want to have fun and not lug around a lot of gear, hence the one lens. I'm open to suggestion though.

Thanks in advance!

I have been using only my 50mm for around 2 months. (see avatar). I find it refreshing and challenging in a good way. If your body is a full frame, i'd go with the 50. I think if you're using a crop sensor body though, i'd probably go with the 35-70.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that - it's a crop sensor (Nikon D90).

Thanks for the input, and I agree on the challenge - I shot with my 35mm f/1.8 for the month of November but have since traded it for the 35-70 f/2.8.

I'd want to know about what your subject matter will be, that would help *me* decide. You know, if you know the area you are going and what the "theme" is.

I'm not bothering this year. The for areas they are going I cover on a regular basis.
The theme for one is at night, and it is "neon".

Personally I would take the 50mm and the 18-250mm.
And, from what I just recently learned, a tripod or at least a monopod.

People talk about the rule of thirds, but there was some website that talks about the Rule of Toos.

Not getting good shots because:
It's too cold.
It's too hot.
It's too far.
It's too high.
It's too heavy.
It's too early.
It's too late.

Get it?

Got it :lol:

I cover this area almost every day at lunch break but never at night. It's a pretty big small city if that makes sense.

There's no theme as far as I know... should be lots of downtown lights and what not. I may bring my monopod, if nothing else it'll act as a walking stick.

Here's one of my recent captures of it:
592081788_eCZvW-L.jpg

I think I'm going at it like a hard drinking session...... double fisting. :lol:

Most likely D700 with 24-70mm on Black Rapid strap and the D300 with 70-200mm on a mono. Since the walk includes the Duke Gardens, I'll tuck the 105mm micro somewhere too.

BJ..... hmmm, that doesn't look right.... Bitter Jeweler, the 'theme' is about 'your' city.

I should grab a D40 from Best Buy before the walk.

That would be odd (physically)...

D90 w/50mm or 35-70
D40 w/18-250

:lol:

BJ..... hmmm, that doesn't look right.... Bitter Jeweler, the 'theme' is about 'your' city.

"We will travel down the newly revitalized East 4th Street pedestrian alley, and we will shoot the decorative neon signs and unique architecture of the East 4th restaurants."

From the description of one of the walk locations.
One of the others is for the flats, focusing on the bridges and industry. Which is where I go frequently, and where most of my "industrial" pics are from.

All the descriptions for locations gave an idea of what was there to shoot. I just looked at it as themes.

NOYZE...I have a hard time with the Rule of Toos myself. But I guess I won't really get the "great" shots until I am willing to carry all my equipment around (most guilty), or get up before sun rise (ughh), or go out late at (get mugged or shot)...etc.

Anyone have a link to the that site?

Last edited:
I say we use one thread to post pics of the day. Whoever starts first, use 'Photo Walk' in the title.

Oh and Bitter Jeweler I'm going at the one on east 4th and I dint think its at night. But I'm bringing my 55-200 on my D2H and a 18-55 on a D50. (I hate swiching lenses outside)

Have fun redtipmann.

Yeah I saw that to after I re-read it, again. LOL
Tell me abou the experience and show your pics!
Maybe I'll do it next year.
I am off to a kite festival instead.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back