Going to a night time H.S. Football game tonight...

hankejp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm going to a High School football game tonight and thought I would bring my camera, a D40, to the game. This will be my 1st night time shooting, and I am hoping for a few pointers.

This is what I am hoping to do so far.

Have my ISO setting at 1600
User a high shutter speed.

What other suggestions might there be?

Thanks

Tripod or monopod, lowest aperture possible, close to the action as possible (so you don't have to crop too much at 1600 iso) shoot raw so you can bring more out of underexposed shots and reduce noise better.

I have my 18-55mm AF-S and then borrowed a 70-300mm ( I believe G) lense. I do have a tripod, and there is also a chest high fence going around the field.

Thanks everyone.

Don't use a tripod.

You'll just cripple yourself in terms of manouverability, and you should be shooting at speeds high enough to freeze the action (1/500+), so there is no way you won't be able to hand hold that. It's not like the lens is a beastly 400 f/2.8...

Well, my 1st football or any sports photography is done and it was a COMPLETE disaster. But that is how we learn isn't it?

I'm not sure what went wrong, but have an idea. I couldn't shoot faster than 1/250. If I tried I got an error saying the subject was too dark. I think this is because the Aperature couldn't open up any wider.

Is this becuase of the limitation of the lense? I didn't use the built in flash. Do you think it would've helped at all? I will post some of the disaster in the next post.

Thanks

2872685056_ea1132f326_b.jpg

2871854397_e8c6ce8c47_b.jpg

2871854293_fac0cf8bea_b.jpg

2871854191_fefa1054a0_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2872685056_ea1132f326_b.jpg

Keep in mind for your first sports shoot you jumped into the fire. Your lens was gonna hold you back under them lights and the fast action of the players. Like you say this is how we learn.

What mode did you shoot on? I just shot my first sports shots the other night. I took photos of some freshman volley ball outside the dorms and some students playing tennis. Not too happy with the results either. I took in total about 400 pictures and came out with 10-20 reasonable shots (by that i mean they don't hurt my eyes). I'm sure given time reflexes will build in for capturing the right pictures. As you mentioned, the aperature is about the only thing that could have made a difference. A built in flash is only good for a short distances, maybe 15 feet? (not so sure about the number) I am going to rewind and start with day sports to get good at the technical part of taking sports photography before I invest in good equipment for night sports (which inevitably is the way to go). Anyway, good luck with future shoots.

Nick

Most reactions

Back