Going to pull trigger on D610...but before I do I have a couple of questions.

HassanChop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,

New to this forum. I've been researching for some time now and have decided to go with the Nikon D610.

Some background info on myself and what I plan to do:

This will be my first DSLR. I eventually want to get into portraits and wedding photography so I thought instead of buying a crop sensor why not get a full frame camera and start learning from there and investing in glass since eventually I'll end up there anyways.

I won't be taking any sports pics, just wedding and portraits eventually after I learn enough working with the camera, workshops, books, and so on (maybe sometime down the line).

Reason I'm about to purchase the D610:
My friend is selling it to me for $1200 body only (He's moving up to a D800). He's a Nikon guy and raves about Nikon. From all the reviews I've seen, the image quality has always been a strength.

My Questions:
Since I'm new to DSLRs and I don't own Canon or Nikon or any glass and I was curious about the Canon 5d Mark ii. I plan on keeping the Nikon D610 for a few years until I'm ready to upgrade. For weddings and portraits, is the 610 on par or better than the Canon 5D Mark ii? I know the Mark ii is a few years old but I was curious with the proper glass and techniques (I know it's the photographer and their technique that's important) if the Nikon 610 is a better camera or capable of doing what the Mark ii can.

This is going to sound silly and totally coming from a newbie but I love the wedding pics I see on 500 pix with the Canon Mark ii. I'm sure the Nikon D610 takes just as good pics but I wanted to get some confirmation.

I'll be using the camera mostly for pics 90% of the time and the rest some video.

Let me know if you need any more information from me and thanks for all the help.

the D610 is far better than the 5D Mark ii.

What the man said, D610 is better in low light and has better Dynamic Range.

For lens I would recommend getting the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G for starters, this isn't a starters lens but since you see yourself going pro then might as well get the best lens in the range you see yourself working.

dont forget better color depth, more focus points, can autofocus in video, shoots faster, has dual storage slots, and slightly more pixels.

The canon has an advatange in the shutter speed and the lack of in camera flash ;)

Perfect. Just needed some confirmation. The reason I was asking was because the Mark ii now can be had for around $1200-1500 online. Thanks.

Just bought one comes in on Wednesday........

dont forget better color depth, more focus points, can autofocus in video, shoots faster, has dual storage slots, and slightly more pixels.

The canon has an advatange in the shutter speed and the lack of in camera flash ;)
Ammmmm..............................yehh that too LOL

The 6D is the appropriate modern competitor from Canon in that price range, not the 5D Mk II. Since everything you're looking at is used, then we look at used prices for alternatives, too. Used 6D costs the same as a used 5DII = about $1000-$1200, and the 6D has superior features in in almost every way:
- Faster processor
- Better low light ISO noise by about half a stop
- About 0.5 to 1 stop better dynamic range depending on ISO
- Slightly better AF system
- Slightly bigger LCD
- Better metering flexibility
- Wireless and GPS
- Smaller and lighter

The 5DII's only advantages AFAIK:
- Slightly more rugged
- 1/8000th shutter speed instead of 1/4000

6D vs. D610, if you have no investment in lenses, etc., and can increase your budget without worry, I'd probably get the D610, which is better and may be worth the higher cost if you make plenty of money. If you are budget minded or can't go about your $1200 at all, I think the 6D is significantly more efficient bang for buck, though, at about 35% cheaper *shrug*

Unless you're shooting action (moving animals, birds, sports, or if you are in action to get shots like climbi), in which case just get the D610 if you can, since the IMO two most meaningful differences are action-oriented (FPS, AF)
- D610 has better dynamic range at low ISO (400-) by 2 stops, 6D better at high ISO (800+) by 0.5 stops. Other sensor performance is about identical
- D610 has slightly higher resolution
- D610 has slightly higher framerate
- 6D is slightly more rugged in metal parts, etc. Both have about the same "resistant" weather sealing.
- D610 has better AF system
- D610 has 2 card slots
- 6D had wireless (good for self portraits and like a super-flipout screen for holding over obstructions and whatnot) and GPS
- 6D costs $200 less new and used, you're looking at something like maybe $1600 vs. $1000

oh SORRY I got confused somehow and thought the friend had the 5DII for sale to you not the D610.

Definitely for a $1200 deal get the friend's D610, hands down.

Could have saved myself a lot of typing, sigh.

Most reactions

Back