412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I recently joined the restart group on facebook and all I can say is wow! There are some lovely photos along with extremely nice photographers within the group. If you guys don't know what I am talking about check it out here: Facebook reSTART group. If you need an invite add me on facebook!

Anyways I love what I have seen I am amazed, inspired, and want to shoot every second I get now! (even more)

So my question is something like this photo I want to recreate the lighting. I know I'll need to shoot during the golden hour but her settings were: 1/640 sec; f/1.8; ISO 100

How do I go about making sure their faces aren't in shadows? I perceive a very small fill flash would work but maybe a golden reflector would work wonders. Any inputs?

Reflector for sure. I bought a holder for my reflector that attaches to a standard stand. It is great when you do not have a person to hold it for you.

Reflector for sure. I bought a holder for my reflector that attaches to a standard stand. It is great when you do not have a person to hold it for you.
As long as there is little or no wind.

Some ankle weights on the light stand would help some, but there are limits, particularly if the light stand is not well built.

I got tons of ankle weights! So I should be set! I just love how this effect looks and I know the client I am shooting for this September will too! I gotta get some practice before then!

I use a reflector, and just hold it myself. I prefer the silver side. If I can't hold it myself I prop it against something. I have one of those reflector holders, but I never use it. The key to these shots is filling the face, and keeping the main light source behind them. So reflect the light directly back into the eyes and face gently. WB is really tricky during "golden hour" as well. You can end up with some really wonky color casts if your not careful. I would recommend a Expodisc or sometime even using the good ole' Kelvin scale during golden hour. It makes for a really quick edit. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time behind your monitor.

Some ankle weights on the light stand would help some, but there are limits, particularly if the light stand is not well built.

I left out the use of sand bags because I thought it was obvious part when using any stand outside. Sure use bags and it really doesn't matter how good your stand is. I've used both good and cheap with the same results.

Most people you talk to will use the gold side of the reflector for outdoor use. Hints golden hour.

The holder I use is fully adjustable so that you can use it from any angle, same as holding it by hand. I have not found any of the limits you peak of. But I'm sure you speak from your owe experience of using one. I really like it but some may find reasons not to.

I left out the use of sand bags because I thought it was obvious part when using any stand outside. Sure use bags and it really doesn't matter how good your stand is. I've used both good and cheap with the same results.

Most people you talk to will use the gold side of the reflector for outdoor use. Hints golden hour.

The holder I use is fully adjustable so that you can use it from any angle, same as holding it by hand. I have not found any of the limits you peak of. But I'm sure you speak from your owe experience of using one. I really like it but some may find reasons not to.
I would NOT use the gold side of the reflector!

Well I will have to make a test run! I think the silver would be more flattering for fill.. But I have never used one.

You don't need to wait until the golden hour - you can gel your flashes to produce the colour. In the 2013 photo you link, you could have a bare flash gelled to yellow/orange on a light stand and boom just out of the top of the frame.

Then if necessary use a softbox for fill from the front, probably with a gel in the same colour or a paler version. That way you could shoot the same shot on an overcast day or evening.

You need to be shooting a long lens (to avoid distortion in the model's face) at a wide aperture (to blur out the background nicely). Possibly on a cheap-ish lens to get a bit of lens flare in the top of the image, though that may require a bit of experimentation.

In my experience with reflectors, which is relatively low, the silver seems to offer the best in terms of accurate colors. Gold seems to reflect a color that's TOO warm. Hope this helps!

If the sun is intense, use a 1 stop difusser between the sun and the subject. Use a large reflector opposite the sun/difusser axis to lift some of the shadows. A little bit of Fill just off camera, on the same side as the sun.

i-Z28KkkJ-L.png

For what I get from your goals, I tend to prefer a white reflector. The silver side will definetly bounce back more light, but while the white will still bounce the light, it will bring it in on the subject more softly. That, I think, will contribute more to a "golden hour" shot.

I never use the golden cover reflector for portraits unless I want the subject to look sick. The color is too intense for my tastes. I do, however, have a reflector covers that are striped with alternating bands of silver/gold and silver/white. I think these work wonderfully to bring in some of the silver contrast and also some soft light of the white or some warm color for skin tone from the gold. I really like the Lastolite line of Tri-Grip reflectors/difussres. Much easier to handle by yourself.

Tri%20Grip%20Rleflector-2-XL.jpg

Reflector%20Uses-Soft%20Silver%20Reflector-XL.jpg

Reflector%20Uses-tri%20grip-XL.jpg

Just my 2¢.

Most reactions

Back