weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Off fishing tonight and wedged myself in a small gulley for a bit. Moved to the open sea a short while later as my first tactic of freelining in the gulley wasn't producing. There's a little bit of magic about fishing in these locations, quite often it's a tough walk in with gear and even with studded walking boots the rocks were slippy, especially after the mud we had to walk through on the way down. Without the studs it would have been treacherous, but even with them there was still a real risk of a bad fall and a broken leg, arm or ankle and not anywhere close to rescue. A fall in the sea would have been touch and go despite our flotation suits as the water is only a couple of degrees above freezing and hypothermia sets in very quickly. Thankfully the swell was only 4 or 5ft and the wind was very slight though the booming of the waves around us was a constant reminder that on a deep, rocky shoreline cold is not the only thing you need to worry about. We fished well into darkness which became oppressive with the spray in the air visible in our headlamps. In the darkness on the way back we passed a small memorial with flowers, possibly to another angler who was not as lucky as we had been and couldn't walk back out, a small reminder of our own mortailty. An interesting evening out...

Gone Fishin' 2 by wee_pete, on Flickr

I hope you caught something?

Yeah mate, I had a codling and a long spined sea scorpion. Had bites all night, mostly from small fish which were hammering the bait. Had 4 or 5 decent bites, but just wasn't connecting with anything sized on the donkey choker cod baits. I'm pleased about the long spined sea scorpion, I've been after one for a while as I wanted a photo for species ID

Long Spined Sea Scorpion by wee_pete, on Flickr

Nice shots. Quite an awesome place to go fishing!

Nice shots. Quite an awesome place to go fishing!

Thanks mate, our coastline can be pretty cool and this time if year the light can be very pretty.

Nice set. Were you going after any fish in particular?

Main target was cod, but haddock, whiting or a big conger is also a possibility there.

I hope you caught something?

Yeah mate, I had a codling and a long spined sea scorpion. Had bites all night, mostly from small fish which were hammering the bait. Had 4 or 5 decent bites, but just wasn't connecting with anything sized on the donkey choker cod baits. I'm pleased about the long spined sea scorpion, I've been after one for a while as I wanted a photo for species ID

Long Spined Sea Scorpion by wee_pete, on Flickr

Can you actually eat that? Sea Scorpion sounds dodgy lol.

Can you actually eat that? Sea Scorpion sounds dodgy lol.

I don't think there's any fish you can't eat in UK waters though these tend to be too small to bother with. This one was only 17cm and normally they are smaller than 20cm. Even the short spined variety only grow to a couple of pounds with anything around half that weight being unusually large. I do think they look really cool though.

Most reactions

Back