Good all around telephoto lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CRman, Jun 6, 2008.

1. CRman

CRman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    No prob... I love the little 55-200 VR but want the just a good all around carry lens. A "lighten my load" lens for day walk just playing.

2. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

I like my 50mm as walk around lense. Next lense i'd get is 28-135 I'm canon user though.

3. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For a walk around lens I recommend a sigma 24-60 f:2.8, it's very cheap for such quality glass. If you want more zoom you can pair it with a 70-200 f:2.8 in the future.

I've tried a number of the mega-zooms and they haven't impressed me, they're slow and soft. I do own a tamron 28-300 which would seem like a good choice for those that only want to carry around one lens, but I hardly ever use it... I'd rather have a more limited range then lackluster photos.

I think I'm pretty typical, most start with a mega-zoom hoping for a one-stop shop, but end up with two or three zooms and the mega-zoom never sees the light of day again.

4. CRman

CRman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Got the 24-60 2.8.... See not carring around for "quality shots:" so to speak.... Just random everyday play toy. I have enough (more than it seems) for specifics. I mentioned befor I love my 55-200 VR but it stops at 55mm.... I'll check a few sites and see what I can decide. One of those things I just want to buy and be doen with.

5. Apex

Apex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If quality isnt the biggest of issues, why not buy a decent P&S with some zoom in it? itl be much smaller than a DSLR of any kind.

6. audiobomber

audiobomber TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anybody that says it's "stupid" to do something in photography a certain way is stupid in my book. Sorry, I don't mince words either. People shoot a zillion different things, have a zillion different styles, and that's why there's a zillion different lenses out there. If you're a rock climber or hiker or cyclist or somebody with an active lifestyle who is known to chop handles off of tooth brushes to save weight, are you honestly going to tell me that it's "stupid" to only carry around one lens on an SLR for the same reason? Carrying lots of lenses is a pain at times. And not all of photography is about critical sharpness or having minimal or zero distortion or no falloff or otherwise. A lot of it is about tone and color and just being able to get the shot rather than having to switch lenses and miss it and have no photo at all.

You're more than welcomed to your own approach to photography, but calling others stupid because their needs and approach is different is what's stupid here.

8. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a shot off my deck at about 200mm. I didn't take this with an 18-200VR or super zoom, but I easily could have.

D40, base ISO 200, 1/1000s, f/11, 70-300VR lens
    [​IMG]

Had I taken this with an 18-200, what exactly would be so horrible about the photo?

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

As long as you could make do with the long end being enough, I love my Nikon 18-135 lens. It's sharp wide open if you need to shoot it there, even at the long end, has nice bokeh for portraits unlike every other kit lens that Nikon has made, and it's dirt cheap at about $200 used. No VR either, but I've gotten by just fine without it even during night time city walkaround shots.