Good, Bad or Indifferent?

ScottWy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's your opinion of this shot from a recent visit to the beach?

4556320983_0569ca6f49_b.jpg

Underexposed and hazy. There's a wave that splits the image right down the middle and there is nothing going on in the foreground.

Between good and indifferent.

I think some PP could go a long way for bringing it around.

boost the contrast, brightness, clarity and you might get it all sexy.
or in PS, add a layer of BW then change it from NORMAL to Soft or Hard Light, you might get decent results as well.

For as long as it is so dark and little contrasty, it still hovers fairly much over "indifferent", though I do see the potential that is in this photo. It could be worked on in pp so it might become "good" or go in that direction.

I sort of like darker images, but this is also muddy.

Tried to lighten it a little, and color burn the darker areas. Also tried a different crop.

As far as the haze, it was foggy that day. Don't know what to do about that.

I would be interested in opinions. Did I not do enough brightening and coloring up?
4567654816_66bc1b1a67_b.jpg

Scott

I think cropping it to make the waves closer or having taken a shot closer to the waves would also help this shot.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to leave an opinion.

I see a few things I did wrong, such as shooting when the light and conditions were wrong, not positioning myself right, and trying it without a tripod. Not to mention PP.

This started to be a test shot, as I wanted a portrait with the lighthouse as the background. When I did that one, I didn't even notice until later that one of the subjects blocked the lighthouse(!)

Hoo Boy, I got me some more learnin' to do!

Your 2nd version is lighter, but it still has a hazy flat quality. Still a lot of mid-tones. It needs more punch. It's far from ideal, but what about the following processing technique... I bumped up the exposure, adjusted the colors, added contrast, added some sharpness, and finally cropped a bit. Some of the whites do get washed out, but it's a different look...

4568772956_2742eb9dee_o.jpg

second one is nice shot ,, its better than the first one ..

I like the third version)

but the first was also good. At first sight it even seemed as if the waves moved)))

Only one thing in terms of the original photo- make the sky and sand of different grey colors....as soon as one is darker the other is lighter- this is a great picture!!!!

Most reactions

Back