Good Ballhead to Replace Manfrotto 804RC2?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! I'm really starting to notice the shortcomings of my 3-way head. I can't think of a single thing I would need it over a ballhead for. It's quite fiddly, honestly. I really need something to mount my D800 and 300/4 on that will allow quick changes to head position. So, as I see it, a ballhead is in order.

Trying to stay under $200.

Mark

I'm really sick of my manfrotto ball head, do you want it? Just kidding though. You would not want it with the equipment your using. I have the manfrotto 324 rc2 and it creeps now with anything on it in portrait. It started when I was using the nikkor 300mm f4.5 ais for long periods.

Maybe the more expensive, better built ball heads work better but you'll be getting close to or above $200 bucks.

I think the shortcomings your experiencing may be from the cheaper model three way you have.

Any head you get in the $200 dollar range will outperform what you have now.

With that beautiful camera you have I would up the ante into the $300 range.

Did you mean ball head or joystick though? Do you do any pano work?

Maybe a Professional Quality Tripods, Heads, Lighting, Bags & Apparel | Manfrotto.usr

Invalid link.

Nope, I mean ballhead. I don't want a pistol grip because I want to be able to just tighten up the friction on the head and move around freely. Basically using my tripod as a monopod without having to use hands. I was chasing around a bluejay and having to fiddle with all three handles just to adjust the position. I don't think it's because I have a cheap 3-way, though. As far as I know, all 3 ways have 3 handles. That seems quite fiddly. The model you mentioned only holds 7lbs. That's REALLY pushing the limit of my gear, considering the lens is a little over 4 lbs itself.

I was looking into this: Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR 496RC2 B&H

Mark

Invalid link.

Nope, I mean ballhead. I don't want a pistol grip because I want to be able to just tighten up the friction on the head and move around freely. Basically using my tripod as a monopod without having to use hands. I was chasing around a bluejay and having to fiddle with all three handles just to adjust the position. I don't think it's because I have a cheap 3-way, though. As far as I know, all 3 ways have 3 handles. That seems quite fiddly. The model you mentioned only holds 7lbs. That's REALLY pushing the limit of my gear, considering the lens is a little over 4 lbs itself.

I was looking into this: Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR 496RC2 B&H

Mark

Not sure how my link go broken. Either way I wouldn't cheap out on the head holding some nice gear.

Maybe some of their sweet hydrostatic heads!

Hydrostatic - Heads - Photo | Manfrotto

I was just about to post that Induro head! That looks quite nice, and I get a pretty decent student discount on it too.

Those last two are dream heads for me. Eventually, I will have the former, and will be forever content.

Mark

I was just about to post that Induro head! That looks quite nice, and I get a pretty decent student discount on it too.

Those last two are dream heads for me. Eventually, I will have the former, and will be forever content.

Mark

Not sure if this helps as I am a newbie and may know nothing. I have a Manfrotto 498RC4 which I found easily at $109 on the web. I use this on a decent tripod and also attached it to a clamp on my safari vehicle when I was recently in Kenya and it worked a dream. I was using a gripped Canon 7D with a Sigma 150-500 which is a pretty heavy combination. I also take a number of moon shots and the 498RC4 does not seem to creep for me.

The thing I like most is that I can tighten the tension for either ball movement or rotation or both which is great for following birds in flight; mostly I get set up and then loosen the overall resistance ever so slightly so that I can move quickly and flick the switch to get maximum tension and stability.

As I said, I'm just a newbie so my standards may be very different to yours.

I was just about to post that Induro head! That looks quite nice, and I get a pretty decent student discount on it too.Those last two are dream heads for me. Eventually, I will have the former, and will be forever content.Mark
Not sure if this helps as I am a newbie and may know nothing. I have a Manfrotto 498RC4 which I found easily at $109 on the web. I use this on a decent tripod and also attached it to a clamp on my safari vehicle when I was recently in Kenya and it worked a dream. I was using a gripped Canon 7D with a Sigma 150-500 which is a pretty heavy combination. I also take a number of moon shots and the 498RC4 does not seem to creep for me. The thing I like most is that I can tighten the tension for either ball movement or rotation or both which is great for following birds in flight; mostly I get set up and then loosen the overall resistance ever so slightly so that I can move quickly and flick the switch to get maximum tension and stability. As I said, I'm just a newbie so my standards may be very different to yours.
I got the same head and it's crap, pony up $400 for a markins, do it now instead of upgrading later. It's hard to get perfect friction zone with that ball head with any 2.8 zoom, with primes it's ok but not so great with big lenses. Basically with any ball head if you don't spend the money now you'll have a head that creeps just enough right before you clamp it down to ruin your composition, especially with longer lenses. Plus you won't be able to get the perfect friction zone in that range either, wish I had bought a nice one to begin with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back