Good Canon DSLR for Football

3forplay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 40D Canon and a 70-200 2.8 lense, but taking picture of high school football games with very poor lighting is a challenge.

The question is, what Canon camera takes the best low light action picture what has a reasonable chance of coming out in focus? david

Is the 5d or the 1Dmark 111 Worth to money or is somthing better?

Well the 5D is obviously phenomenal as is the 1D MIII (if you want a full-frame) and both will be well worth your money...

...But I'd suggest maybe the 7D. It's brand new and supposedly takes great low-light shots (every review I've read praises the low-light abilities). It's a *lot* cheaper than the other 2 mentioned and it's being rated very well. Also does 720p/1080p video as well (quality shared with the 5D).

I can't speak from experience (although I was thinking of picking it up), but every review can't be wrong!

The 1DIII is Canon's 'pro sports' camera. It's got the fast frame rate and a sophisticated AF system.

The 5DII is a great camera, but it's a fair bit slower and doesn't have a sophisticated AF system. It's main advantage would be great performance at high ISO.

The 7D does have a better AF system than the 5DII, but still not as good as the 1DIII (AFAIK).

Would this be true if an iso of 3200 can take a picture in low light can the 7D at 102400 take one in very dark conditions at a reaonable speed to stop the action on the field?

Anyone have a pictue taken at 102400?

I just read a 7D magazine review describing the pictures as usable up to ISO 6400 only... Still very good, of course.

Incidentally, do you use a monopod or tripod while shooting? That would certainly help your chances of getting crisp pictures out if you don't already.

If you want to freeze action AND produce high quality pictures in a rapid game in poor light, though, the odds are stacked against you whatever equipment you're shooting.

I've shot some stuff at 3200 and 6400 with my 7D. Yes there's noise, but I can improve it significantly with Noiseware Pro and it runs circles around my 30D. I haven't tried higher yet.

I do use a monopod. I may try a 7D and compare it to my 40D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back