voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I met Jerry Jacka today. And I bought one of his cameras. A 4x5 Sinar. I have no idea how to figure out the model. Maybe someone can help me figure it out. Anyway. It came with 6 brand new film holders, 3 used and a 5x7 back! All for.. .drumroll please.... $275

Wow, does it include a lens? Either way its a smoking deal! I would ave bought it in a heartbeat at that price. I see them on ebay from anywjere around 500-1000 dollars, usually not including lens. The Film holders are gravy considering they go on ebay in pretty banged up shape for 10-20 dollars a piece.
The Sinar is a damn fine camera, a guy in my class uses one, his sinar is what interested my to get into LF, but i could only afford a press camera, if i saw that camera at that price though i would be more then satisfied.

No lens. Those go for about 500-1000 on ebay.

There was a newer model with the lens and tons of accessories for 850.

Also not too bad of a deal. If you just wanna get started i think you can use an Ektar lens from a press camera, just have to get it to fit the lens board, and those lenses with shutter are about 80-150 dollars. I dunno Mett could prolly tell you more about that though, and if it truely is possible.

Are your holders 4x5 or 5x7? I know the Sinar is a 4x5 camera but you can use 5x7 stuff with it. i would prolly stick with 4x5, its more mainstream, therefore cheaper and easier to find accesories. Plus i think with a 5x7 and higher you have to get a special enlarger just for LF. I know that some of the higher end 35mm enlargers will do up to 4x5 for you, i.e. Beseler 23c, Omega D series, Beseler 4x5 etc.

You should be able to mount any lens/shutter into any lensboard, as long as it has right size hole cut. There is a handy tool for tightening the rings; I can't remember the name (maybe called a spanner?), but it's like two screwdrivers mounted on a crossbar. When tightening up the lens I usually tape a piece of cardboard over the glass, just in case the tool slips.

I'm not all that familiar with specific Sinar models. I know they have a great reputation. Is it a monorail view camera or a field camera?

ksmatt do you know anyway I might be able to figure out the model? Only thing I can find is the serial # which is 700155 and the manual i got with it has a copyright of 1967. It's in damn good shape.

sinar01.jpg

sinar02.jpg

sinar03.jpg

sinar5x7back.jpg

voodoocat said:
ksmatt do you know anyway I might be able to figure out the model? Only thing I can find is the serial # which is 700155 and the manual i got with it has a copyright of 1967. It's in damn good shape.

I don't know much about Sinar cameras. From a quick look around the web it appears that there are models refered to as A-1, F, F1, F2, P, P1, and P2. Maybe P is the same as P1, and F the same as F1? I couldn't find any pics to compare yours to. Several articles mentioned a modification that could be done to allow 4x5 and 5x7. There is also a model called the Norma that shoots 4x5 and 5x7. The hardware on the rail looked similar to yours, but the bellows was different.

Try to find a Sinar users group, or just email Sinar the serial number. They should be able to tell you what model it is.

Thanks for the tips. I spent hours today trying to figure it out. I guess the usergroup or email to Sinar would be the easiest way :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back