Good Evening From Philadelphia / low light question

daphotography91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good evening from Philadelphia My name is Desiree and I have been doing photography for about 4 years and I have learned many different things. Today I just purchased a nikon D3200 camera and it is my own DSLR and its quite the monster hahahaha but the question I have is what external flash would be good for this camera and also how do I alter settings for lower light pictures on the D3200?

message me if anyone wants to chat I am also new to this forum

Welcome. I use a SB400 and can be picked up used for around $100. It's better than built in, tilts for bounce, but doesn't swivel. If you want something for longer range a SB700 or later works well and it swivels (better for portrait framing). The 400 is compact and powerful and may be all you need to get started.

Low light lens would be nice. The Nikor 50mm 1.8 Afs DX prime works well and is a good all around lens. I use the 35mm 1.8 a lot and it works well in cramped spaces being its wider but it can distort faces if your real close. Bokeh is good on both. Sigma makes a 17-50mm F/2.8 ex DC OS hsm that it leaps and bounds better than the 18-55mm kit lens and perform great in low light and super sharp in middle at F/2.8, great all around zoom, I think it's about 100mm long on a crop sensor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A yongnuo yn 565 can be picked up on Amazon for small enough money. It's a good ttl unit that works well.

Welcome to tpf

.. the question I have is what external flash would be good for this camera and also how do I alter settings for lower light pictures on the D3200?
Welcome!

I recommend one of the Nikon Speedlights, such as; SB-700. I have the latest model; the SB-910 and I love it! It is amazing what that flash can do.

If your budget does not go that high, some of the third-party flashguns work, but maybe not with the Nikon Creative Light System. They all have comparative levels of power (the guide number), and they all swivel, so any of the less expensive flashes would work. Meike, Yonguno, Neewer.

thanks you guys for all of the replays I will look at all of these models and recommendations sent to me :)

also thanks for the warm welcomes

WayneF liked the Neewer 750 flash unit. His ScanTips web pages have a pretty good review of it. It's in the same price category as the Yongnuo flashes. Neewer is a pretty well-known flash maker that supplies flash units, both studio monolight type, and speedlight type, for multiple mega-retailers all over the world.

Most reactions

Back