Good film labs in LA/San Diego?

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody know of some good film labs in LA/San Diego? Like, somewhere I could walk in and drop off/pick up film?

And if not, what are some good labs that y'all have sent film to?

I thought film was dead in the US you only get this service in the UK im lucky I have 2 of the best in the UK for my colour negatives and slides, 1 is walking distance and 1 is 15 minutes drive

While I'm not sure I can be as helpful as Gary, I might have a few suggestions.

Googling "film developing Los Angeles" yielded quite a few results, actually. This place got good reviews: Richard Photo Lab I know nothing about LA, so I have no idea which ones would be convenient to you, but it seems there are choices. Perhaps Gary A. will chime in.

For sending out, there's Dwayne's, Darkroom.com.

Richard Lab has a good reputation; look at their Facebook page, that would give you an idea what type/quality work they do.

Or just ask Gary...

Too bad you do not live in St. Louis, I work at a lab that still loves film. I process the BW myself at my home lab for my company I wok at and in the lab we have a Noritzu V-50 C-41 processor. E-6 is quite dead though.....only one place here in St. Louis and it takes 2-3 weeks for subpar development.

I thought film was dead in the US you only get this service in the UK im lucky I have 2 of the best in the UK for my colour negatives and slides, 1 is walking distance and 1 is 15 minutes drive

498.jpg

Richard Lab has a good reputation; look at their Facebook page, that would give you an idea what type/quality work they do.

Or just ask Gary...

Yeah that's one of the first results that popped up when I was searching. I've heard of them before, and from the looks of their site and thorough rundown of their processing and scanning services, they seem like that do good stuff. Of course, their prices reflect this lol.

Richard's is one of the best in the world. North Coast is also very good. What are your needs?

I'm honestly looking for develop 120 film and have it scanned at a printable resolution.

I've seen North Coast mentioned a few times as well, but their website didn't look as nice as Richard's lol. They do seem to be cheaper and they have more options though.

Last edited:
Ask around at APUG. Suspect there's still a few there who actually shoot film
Richard's is one of the best in the world. North Coast is also very good. What are your needs?

I'm honestly looking for develop 120 film and have it scanned at a printable resolution.

I've seen North Coast mentioned a few times as well, but their website didn't look as nice as Richard's lol. They do seem to be cheaper and they have more options though.

You might also ask around at APUG.

I've used The Icon in mid-wilshire area. Dropped it off before work, picked it up a couple days later, my bike commute takes me right by there every day anyway. Results were good and price was reasonable. I've heard lots of good things, as seen above, about richard photo lab, but never tried them, mostly because of the cost. I develop and scan my own c41 & b&w at home. The reason I even used icon was i needed to test a camera I was selling and needed it quickly, but as I said, I was happy with them.

Icon

I've also sent them out to thedarkroom.com and I like them too. They're way cheaper, but you have to wait a little longer since it's mail. Probably about a week turnaround. Some samples under the icon samples.

some samples from The Icon
Covered Cars by Brandon, on Flickr

Sleepy Head by Brandon, on Flickr

Working World by Brandon, on Flickr

The Darkroom samples
T-Bird by Brandon, on Flickr

The City by Brandon, on Flickr

Pink Flower by Brandon, on Flickr

Last edited:

used to manage a pro store and lab in the Valley. It's gone now. We would farm out our Kodachrome to A&I. A&I is still around; they are in Weho now. They always had high standards. You might want to give them a call. Film

Most reactions

Back