Good flash for night club photography

jeremyamayora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a d3100 and I'm very new to photography. I'm looking for a good flash to use in night club photography. Also a good lens? Can anyone give me some ideas for both with a budget of about $600. Thanks

A 50mm 1.8 is fast enough but not a great length for crowded clubs on a crop sensor if that's your only lens. You need a fast wide angle prime or zoom since you'll be right up against people with not much room to move in or back. Unfortunately, there's not much in your budget. A Nikon 14-24mm or Tokina 11-16 would be good but both are pricey.

iazybandit said:
$600 for lens and flash? SB-600 (~$200 used) and Nikon 50mm f1.8G ($220 new)

Thanks I think I'm goin with this one. My friends the dj so they will buy if I shoot so that's their budget . But I am looking to upgrade to a sb-800 or 900 soon and I'm not sure what new lens I should get after the 50mm f1.8. But thanks for the ideas.

Offhand said:
A 50mm 1.8 is fast enough but not a great length for crowded clubs on a crop sensor if that's your only lens. You need a fast wide angle prime or zoom since you'll be right up against people with not much room to move in or back. Unfortunately, there's not much in your budget. A Nikon 14-24mm or Tokina 11-16 would be good but both are pricey.

I have a d3100 and I think that is a full frame not a crop but I could b wrong. But ill check those out this week and see if I can add to the budget

For all around club photography I would recommend a 35mm over a 50mm. i used a 50mm and sometimes its too much zoom. With at 35mm you can always get closer. another good cheap option would be a tamron 17-50mm f2.8. This would work well if you use a flash with it. Nice lens. Goes for about $300-400 for nikon.

35mm 1.8G, beware of the mad chromatic aberrations.

IMHO - On a budget, a fast prime would be great. I think a fast wide angle would be better though for convenience. With $600, $200 on an SB-600 (unless you get a slightly better deal) should leave you enough to snag a used Tamron 17-50.

I shoot as a hobby and 90% of my shooting is indoors. The convenience of a wide angle zoom is so nice over a prime. Just my $0.02.

Most reactions

Back