Good Macro Lenses?

31M0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone.

Right now I'm using the EOS 400D with the EF-S 18-55mm lens that comes with it (part of the kit) But I'm looking for a lens that will allow me to get really close up shots, with a low f-stop. (the lowest I've gotten this lens to is about f/3.5)

The reason is because I really like to take shots of things up close, e.g. flowers, bugs etc.

I figure I can use the 18-55mm lens as a general all purpose lens till I can get another one, but I really want a macro lens or something so I can shoot close up.

Cheers.

100mm f/2.8 macro

Excellent IQ.

Could use some help in focus logic, but then it's not an "L". I end up manual focus with macro.

While one of the shortfalls of the 'kit' lens is the rather small max aperture (F3.5-5.6)...you normally don't want to use a large aperture when shooting macro.

When you are that close to your subject, the DOF is very thin...so it's hard to get much of anything in focus. That's why it's often better to shoot macro with a smaller aperture like F16 or F22 etc. Of course, that usually requires the use of a tripod.

There are several good macro lenses. The 100mm Macro, the EF-S 60mm macro etc.

There are also cheaper alternatives. You could use diopter filters (close up filters). They screw to the front of the lens and act like a magnifying glass. The quality isn't as good as with a macro lens, but you can get a p piece set for around $60.
Another alternative would be extension tubes. They go behind the lens and allow you to focus closer.

Extension tubes are a great solution. Cheap macro alternatives, for the win! Mine are taking forever to arrive, but at least until they arrive, I can practice by holding my 50mm about 5 inches in front of my lenseless camera. It's really quite mesmerizing. :drunk:

The 100mm f/2.8 is an excellent lens. I've had mine for a couple of months now and I've been using it constantly...well worth the dosh and the build is almost L quality.

The 100mm f/2.8 is an excellent lens. I've had mine for a couple of months now and I've been using it constantly...well worth the dosh and the build is almost L quality.

The problem is the price though.. Where I live everything seems to be a lot more expensive than everywhere else.

The 50mm f/1.8 (I think) is about $86 on Amazon.com but over here it would be about $130, just a rough conversion but that's what it equals out to.

I heard those Sigma macros are pretty good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back