good nikon in low light suggestions

crimsonpetrichor11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I am in the market for a new camera, I currently have the old Nikon D300s it is about 6 years old now. I am looking to get a new camera body (without having to buy new lenses) to replace it.

anyone with experience with the D7200 or the D5500? I am particularly interested in their low light capabilities (compared to the D300s if you know) how is the sharpness and the noise levels? I want to be able to get by with out a flash when possible.

I don't have the money to go full frame or change my lenses at the moment, open to suggestions.

I also have access to a D3300 (my mom's who lives with me) we share lenses

The now-aging D300s SUCKS in low light and/or higher ISO setting work, when compared to any of the new-sensores Nikon models like theD7100 or D7200 or D5500 or D5400 or D3400...there has been a HUGE amount of sensor and image processing advancement between the above-listed NIkon cameras and the D300s.

I you want to see even better advancements, look into the D600 or D610 or D750 in full-frame.

The now-aging D300s SUCKS in low light and/or higher ISO setting work, when compared to any of the new-sensores Nikon models like theD7100 or D7200 or D5500 or D5400 or D3400...there has been a HUGE amount of sensor and image processing advancement between the above-listed NIkon cameras and the D300s.

I you want to see even better advancements, look into the D600 or D610 or D750 in full-frame.

I wish I could, but the whole replacing my lenses thing is definitely a down side.

ETA you are so right, the D300s SUCKS in low light!!!!

The D500 would be just like using your D300s, but with the new sensor technology . It is really too new to find good deals. The D600 is the best bang for the buck for low light.

Any f/1.8 prime lens can help in low light if you are currently using DX kit zoom lenses (f/4.5 and slower).

I owned a D7100 and the low light performance was decent, but when I went over 3200 with the ISO, it got a little too grainy for my liking.
I currently own the D500, and this camera is excellent in low light! I can push this bad boy to ISO 6400 and hardly notice any grain in the photo.

I agree with many here - the D500 would be the ideal choice for you. It has the same "pro" style interface as the D300s, that you are used to.

Also its a true lowlight monster. People say even ISO 40k would be still useable. Very high autofocus reserves in darkness, too.

It has more noise than full frame sensors like from the D750, but it actually has more dynamic range than even many full frame cameras at such high ISOs.

If you dont have the budget, I would recomment getting the D7100. It doesnt have the Nikon "pro" style interface, though, only the "semi-pro". It has a few less buttons and its a different style.

All in all I kind of wished I had more of a budget, so I could afford a D500, but I'm just a hobbyist and can only spend my money once, and for my style of photography having a full frame camera is kind of very preferable.

D500 is probably your best option because it's so like your d300, but the d7200 is an excellent camera. I had the d7100 before it, and the d7200 is just enough better to be a great all rounder. In dx terms the d7200 is a bit of a bargain now

Thanks everyone! I am going to the store in just a bit, I am still debating between the D500 and a full frame D610 or D750.

Thanks everyone! I am going to the store in just a bit, I am still debating between the D500 and a full frame D610 or D750.
I would go for the D750, its better in low light, only main advantage the D500 has for general use is its AF but the one on the D750 is already VERY good so I would go for the D750.

unless youre a sports shooter, if these three were much choices, I wouldn't even think twice about the D750.

Hey, I have these cameras the D500 and D750 (I had the D600 too). This all depends upon what you deem "low light" is .. for some it's one level for another it's totally different.

Here's a shootout I had with the D750 and D500 ==> D500 vs D750 Indoor Soccer Shootout

For me it really depends what I'm going to use the camera for.
Sport where FPS is the main concern (or birding with FPS and Tracking) then the D500
Lower light sports (as the shootout shows you) then the D750
Event type photography etc then the D750

I've pushed the D500 all over the ISO # for both bad and good low light. It's a great camera. I wish the AF was actually simplier like the 51pt system but it's a great system.

I just shot the D500 in an evening soccer game under stadium lights with my 80-200/2.8 lens. ISO varied up to 40,000 without an issue @f/2.8, Shutter 1/2,000. Keep in mind the D750 is still 2 stops faster in low light so it's not an equivalent ISO to ISO, apples to apples number.

At one time I ran tests of the D5500, D7200, D750, D810, D500, D610 for ISO tests .. tons of pictures. I could throw those back on my Flickr if you want to compare them all.

FYI, what you'll find is that as you creep up in newer DX cameras the low light ability is amazing comparitively to the older DX. That is, until you try a modern FX camera and notice how much more of a large step of amazing you get into.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back