Good place to host pictures online?

Eyetattoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been using Photobucket but am just wondering if there is a better place to host without a fee?

I used to like Photobucket, but my firewall here at work block most images from Photobucket...so I can't see the images hosted there.

Try Flickr

Flickr is about one of the best - its also good on a legal front too (photobucket has some nasties hidden in its TCs which do leave your images open to their use if they so desire for profit - far as I know they haven't done anything, but its something they could very well do)

The only downside to Flickr is that if you have a free account you will lose access older images once you have uploaded more than 200 (it always shows the most recent 200). Your images will still be stored on the account though and they will still show where you posted them online.
A paid account at flickr is not too much (bit cheaper than photobuckets actually) and they give you a lot more for your money as well as letting you access all your images as wel as increased organising slots and such.

Imageshack is another popular service, though more recently it seems to have more hicups and not display images online when compared to the other services (never really had problems with either photobucket or flickr myself)

flickr can use ur images, but atleast they give u credit if asked for.

flickr here too. i like it.

flickr can use ur images, but atleast they give u credit if asked for.

Far as I know Flickr can't - however they do have an agreement with Ghetty Images who can ask for the right to use your image, however it is an optional aspect and you can opt out of it in your profile settings should you so wish.

The only other thing to remember is that Flickr supports the Creative Commons licence setup - this gives you the option to have limited releases of rights over your images (eg allow people to perform and upload modifications of your image, to use for non-profit with a linkback and so forth) however again you can opt out and have all your images set to retain all rights

I'm a fan of Flickr, though we've all heard good things about SmugMug too. I like Flickr mostly because of it's popularity. Lots of people already know about Flickr and look at images there. Not quite so with SmugMug.

As far as Flickr using your images, the only rights they get are standard distribution rights. The rights that let them actually display the images on their website, and store them on their servers, in short. They specifically state that you hold copyright unless you choose otherwise (the default setting is to claim full copyright to the images you upload, in which case, they can't use the images.)

tiny pic!!! no account needed gives u a simplt

Most reactions

Back