Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
My 15 year old daughter wants to buy a point and shoot camera, that she can carry around with her. She has used my T1i (still not letting anyone else near my 7D ;)), and feels it is too heavy to lug around. She is new to photography, so I feel she needs a point and shoot that has manual settings to teach her how to use aperture, shutter speed and iso.
She has a budget of $200 (babysitting money), but would rather spend less if she can get something 2nd hand in great condition.
Has anyone used the Canon Powershot sx230 HS 12.1MP CMOS camera?

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX230HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with HS SYSTEM and DIGIC 4 Image Processor (red): Camera & Photo

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance,

Bruce

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nikon P510 or Canon SX50 HS or the previous models: P500 or SX40 HS

They've got it all. Manual to point and shoot PLUS it's got everything from wide angle to mega zoom.

They've got it all. Manual to point and shoot PLUS it's got everything from wide angle to mega zoom.
I just had a look at the canon sx50 and it's way out of her price range. She also feels that it is too large for a pocket camera, something she can easily carry in her pocket without needing a case around her neck. Any other recommendations?

I was going to say the Kodak Z650 or in the line just because they can be had now for 100 or less and are manual. Have no idea what pocket sized cams are out with manual settings.

Does she want a big PnS like the G12 or a tiny sexy one like the S100?

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Hi all,
My 15 year old daughter wants to buy a point and shoot camera, that she can carry around with her. She has used my T1i (still not letting anyone else near my 7D ;)), and feels it is too heavy to lug around. She is new to photography, so I feel she needs a point and shoot that has manual settings to teach her how to use aperture, shutter speed and iso.
She has a budget of $200 (babysitting money), but would rather spend less if she can get something 2nd hand in great condition.
Has anyone used the Canon Powershot sx230 HS 12.1MP CMOS camera?

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX230HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with HS SYSTEM and DIGIC 4 Image Processor (red): Camera & Photo

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance,

Bruce

Powershot sx230 has only auto and P mode and scenes..no A/S/M modes.

canon sx50 is 460$, the sx40 is 350$, sx500 is 320$
nikon p510 is 400$, p500 is 315$ - so everything here out of your budget of 200$.

i suggest :
Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX160 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 16x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black): CANON: Electronics

it has all the modes and dials, plus it got a good grip for a compact. and its 20$ less then your budget...only downside is that it works on normal batteries, but if that doesn't bother you then get it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
She also feels that it is too large for a pocket camera, something she can easily carry in her pocket without needing a case around her neck. Any other recommendations?

I've never seen an advanced pns/bridge camera that was really pocket-size. The Canon S95/S100 cameras are the closest, but they are more expensive than you want and are not comfortably pocket-size in my book anyway. She may have to commit to carrying something a little larger to have manual capability (and maybe raw) - a worthwhile trade-off, imo, but I'm not the one carrying it, so...

Tell her to save her money and continue to use the T1i. In the end, she will develop the motor skills of using a dslr and understand how it works as opposed to a ps camera. The ability to hold and maneuver a dslr is much different. Eventually she will be use to this and want to upgrade to your 7D, once you buy a 5D mIII. This will also give her the ability to buy a nifty fifty(50mm f1.8) for 100$.

Now you could be super-dad n just buy a Leica M9 :lol:, thats a great point n shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back