Good portrait lense

Digital Matt said:
If you insist on not gettin a prime, :er: then check out the Tamron SP AF28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF).

Here's the review at Fred Miranda's: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=246&sort=7&cat=43&page=1

Yeah yeah...I *might* be swayed. I'm not saying at all that I don't LIKE primes. I do. My 50mm is my baby. I listed above my reasons for not wanting a prime for my next lens...however, after doing some looking, I'm not so sure I can afford a halfway decent zoom. :grumpy: Now, if I were to get an 85mm prime, that woudl kinda be defeating a good part of my reasoning (because I always have to back way up, then end up missing the shot)....

....so...are the shorter focal lengths not as recommended for what I would need it for?

Hey Corry, not sure if its any use, but I use the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 you linked and 50mm 1.4 together for most everyday shooting, but have to say the 28-105 zoom is by far used more! I know how you mean about having to backup, and even at times when I slap the 50mm on to get a fast shot, I miss it anyway from lack of reduced range when I need it. Often a fast shot will happen so quickly you don't have time to back up, like you said. I find the zoom fast to focus and very much a multi-use lens...

For anything beyond about 100mm I use 100-400mm lens, but anything less, its the 28-105 all the way... I've never had any problems with it and for portrait work where you need versatility I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it; especially bearing in mind its considerably cheaper than a lot of other options. The build quality is great its a very compact, sturdy lens, and the dedicated lens hood works a treat.

Becky said:
Hey Corry, not sure if its any use, but I use the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 you linked and 50mm 1.4 together for most everyday shooting, but have to say the 28-105 zoom is by far used more! I know how you mean about having to backup, and even at times when I slap the 50mm on to get a fast shot, I miss it anyway from lack of reduced range when I need it. Often a fast shot will happen so quickly you don't have time to back up, like you said. I find the zoom fast to focus and very much a multi-use lens...

For anything beyond about 100mm I use 100-400mm lens, but anything less, its the 28-105 all the way... I've never had any problems with it and for portrait work where you need versatility I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it; especially bearing in mind its considerably cheaper than a lot of other options. The build quality is great its a very compact, sturdy lens, and the dedicated lens hood works a treat.

Thanks for the info! :D

core_17 said:
(because I always have to back way up, then end up missing the shot)....

You should be backing up. If you close to your subject with a wider lens, you'll distort their features, and wind up with a not-so-pleasing portrait. 85mm is really the shortest standard portrait length lens, and your 50mm is an 85 already on your camera.

Digital Matt said:
You should be backing up. If you close to your subject with a wider lens, you'll distort their features, and wind up with a not-so-pleasing portrait. 85mm is really the shortest standard portrait length lens, and your 50mm is an 85 already on your camera.
Exactly what I was going to say, and better defines what I meant earlier about the situation dictating your choice. If you put the 50mm on and leave it on, you can train yourself to stay at the right distance so all you have to do is raise the camera and compose. You might have to move back or forward a little bit, but not much. The same goes for the 85mm, which would be a 135mm on your camera. That's the range I consider the best for portraits (80mm-135mm) using the 50mm and 85mm.

Another choice would be to save up for the snazzy zoom and practice more with the 50mm.

markc said:
Exactly what I was going to say, and better defines what I meant earlier about the situation dictating your choice. If you put the 50mm on and leave it on, you can train yourself to stay at the right distance so all you have to do is raise the camera and compose. You might have to move back or forward a little bit, but not much. The same goes for the 85mm, which would be a 135mm on your camera. That's the range I consider the best for portraits (80mm-135mm) using the 50mm and 85mm.

Another choice would be to save up for the snazzy zoom and practice more with the 50mm.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just hold off for now then, and attempt to save some money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back