Good seamless paper roller system

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, I've discovered (OMFG finding things out as a novice artist is a pain ... another story) that -- for me -- a fabric background is cool, but probably better (again, for me) in a setting where the waviness and texture of the fabric adds to the shot, like coming down from the wall, draped over a pedestal, etc.

Some of the consensus that I'm hearing is that seamless paper is the way to go, probably with neutral (18%???) gray, or if a combination is required, gray, black & white ... and almost certainly with a roller system. Pull down some paper, tape to the floor such that we have a seamless curve transitioning from horizontal to vertical, and shoot away. (Am I correct with this picture in my head?)

So my little mini-studio (cramped!) is a 9.5' x 9.5' x 7.5' converted bedroom. It would seem that the way to go is a wall-mounted roller system with three rollers. (Am I going wrong here?)

What are some systems that folks have had a good experience with? My budget is midrange. I make enough money at my "camera finance" job to get decent quality equipment but not top-top-top of the line.

Thanks in advance for any help.

That is an awfully small room for a studio. Ok for shooting small products, or maybe head shots & babies, but I can't imagine trying to shoot a full height portrait or a group of three etc.

But we all have to work with what we have.

I think this may be what you're looking for.

Single roll bracket Manfrotto 059WM Single Background Hook - Wall Mountable - 059WM

Here is a simple 3-roll bracket. Delta 1 Background Holder Hooks 44120 B&H Photo Video

Here is a 3-roll roller system
Interfit Wall Mounting Kit for Paper Rolls INT312 B&H Photo

Wall/ceiling mounted rollers take up less space than a backdrop stand which has three feet on each side. In a small space it makes sense. It also makes sense if you are always using the same space. Paper rolls I have seen are 7 feet and 12 feet wide. 7 feet is good for head shots but if a model spreads their arms, the hands are off the edges of the paper.

Wall-mounting a three-roll bracket will save some space over using stands and a cross-bar. Mounting it on Bogen Auto Poles is another option, and also allows you to put a hair/separation light on the Auto-Pole using a clamp and stud, and then lighting the hair with a gridded strip box or reflector+grid+diffuser+barndoor setup, which eliminates the need for yet another light stand in the way. In a realllly small room like that, keep in mind that softboxes are best if they have 1) a recessed front AND 2) a fabric grid. It is well,well,well worth it to get recessed-front boxes that have grids, because in a small, low-ceilinged space, CONTROL over the lights is much more valuable than "big modifiers". There is soooooooo much over-emphasis on " large, soft light sources" (mushy light sources) in internet forums and on-line in general, but in your case, SMALL modifiers with grids make a ton of sense!

Savage brand seamless paper has rolls of paper that are 53" (4.4') x 12 yrds and 107" x 12 yrds (8' 9") wide. They make a wider roll but the wider roll won't fit your room.
Savage SV-107X12-56 Seamless Background Paper 107-Inch by 12 Yards, Fashion Gray, #56
Savage SV-53X12-27 Seamless Background Paper 53-Inch Wide x 12 Yards, Thunder Gray

The 107" wide paper can be shipped UPS.
If you are a KelbyOne member, one of the perks is you get free regular shipping from B&H.
The wider than 107" roll has to be shipped in an 18 wheeler and does not qualify for regular shipping.

As mentioned your 'studio' is very small.
If you want to do portrait work you need to keep your subjects well in front of the background - like at least 6 feet, but10 feet is better.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back