Good Sites For Backlinks

Eco,

I understand what you're saying sort of but doesn't page rank lead to people finding your site? And that's the only way you can see conversion is getting them there isn't it?

I know next to nothing about ranks and all that stuff as seen in earlier posts but am I wrong in understanding that ranking is how you get potential clients to your site? or at least one of the ways?

i just want them to see the site when they search for my kind of product. After that its on me to sell them on my product. Right now they don't even see our site and that is what we are looking to improve which seems like it is a matter of time after you have worked on SEO if the quality of the SEO is good.

Or am I still confused?

While it would make sense that a site with good links which would translate into good page rank would get good traffic it doesn't always work that way. Google has a bunch of other factors that determines who gets the traffic and they keep that stuff secret. :confused: I'm positive that one of the factors is the actual content and the quality of the content. A way for them to measure this is if people click on your link and return a few seconds later because your link did not do anything for them. I really think in the long run they place the best content high in the search results, after all that is their #2 goal (#1 is to make money).

If everything was page rank & incoming links everyone with $100 or so would be over at the DP forum buying links.....SERPS would be all about who had the most money and not the best content.

For conversions, generally the best numbers come from targeting towns, counties and states with your keywords like "wedding photography <insert town>". Targeted traffic converts so go after the people in your service area.

If your site doesn't have a blog add one and do a post for every town in your service area. While it's a boring task it will bring visitors and then you just have to work on your blog posts to get them to your main site or your contact page.

Adding your location should help, at least for some of the local customers.

I just received an order for 4 8 x 12s and one 16 x 24 print this week. How did she find me? She just moved back here and was looking for some local scenes to fill her house with pictures. :)

:thumbup: On your site! Within a few seconds of clicking on it I know who your are, what you do and what you sell while seeing your work in the modified flash showing your pictures.

Out of interest, do you mind if I ask why you don't use alt tags for the photos on your blog?

Just another idea for people with blogs. Once a month you could showcase a few pictures from a non competing photographer from another area of the country with a link or two back to their site. In exchange they could do the same for you.

:thumbup: On your site! Within a few seconds of clicking on it I know who your are, what you do and what you sell while seeing your work in the modified flash showing your pictures.

Out of interest, do you mind if I ask why you don't use alt tags for the photos on your blog?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what happened. My latest blog entry/image has the 'alt' tag but some of them don't. Maybe I got lazy or forgot....really don't know. I'm adding them as I speak.

While it is still being developed, Professional Photographers Social Network is another site you can create a profile with a link to your site. You can also post a couple gallery shots as examples of your work. So far Pazilla has created about 30 Jobs/ Sales since its creation this last year. We ran a couple contests aswell. Starting in January we are going to ramp things up with the site including bigger contests and promotions.

Check it out.

Here's the deal with Page Rank. Google says it's one of hundreds of factors that affects where you show up in results. For those of you saying to ignore page rank, I wouldn't completely agree. I think I catch what you're saying in that Page Rank is no longer the way to guarantee top spot in search engine results, but it's still important.

Let me explain what I mean. IF a website has done their linking correctly (meaning that their link text contains their desired keyword phrase), Page Rank is at least a starting point for knowing how hard you will have to work to compete. Also, when you get links from other sites, Google looks for quality links, which in part is determined from Page Rank. Other factors ignored, if you're getting a link (again with your desired keyword phrase) from a PR0 photography-related webpage, it won't be as valuable as a good link from a PR4 photography-related webpage. Do you guys catch where I'm going here?

I think the bottom line is that having 1000 links to your site means nothing if the links aren't from relevant websites, or your links are not properly formed.

What I don't understand is how you get those links. i mean i understand I can post links to my site in this kind of forum or have someone I know with a site post a link, or use facebook links but what are the links that really matter?

Heretothere, I wouldn't categorize links as links that matter and links that don't. There are links that matter more, and links that matter less. There's not a magic bullet for getting onto sites that are higher page rank. There are techniques called link-baiting techniques that can get you a decent number of good links. That all comes down to having content that is really interesting and link-worthy. There are probably other people here that have other ideas on how to get your site listed on a high page rank site.

I think the bottom line is that having 1000 links to your site means nothing if the links aren't from relevant websites, or your links are not properly formed.

I think that is true. Though... having 1000 links will help traffic. lol

Thanks for all the info folks. I have been doing a lot of work with the website so hopefully over time it will pay off. Any pointers on the website is always welcome if you don't mind.

We started a blog too as that seems like a popular choice for getting the word out. Still not sure what a blog is but we got one.

http://heretotherephotography.wordpress.com/

thanks

Thanks for all the info folks. I have been doing a lot of work with the website so hopefully over time it will pay off. Any pointers on the website is always welcome if you don't mind.

We started a blog too as that seems like a popular choice for getting the word out. Still not sure what a blog is but we got one.

http://heretotherephotography.wordpress.com/

thanks

You can host a blog on your own URL if you want. If you have Cpanel hosting you should have a one click option and all you need to do is name the page like site.com/blog.

Blogs are great for sneak peeking your work. Then you push traffic accross your sight and they send out your website link to all your their friends or link to it on their blog, and thus you get back links. An external personal blog that links back to your regular blog occaisionally can also help improve your sites links.

Well I guess there has been a little progress with the SEO because we are now showing up on Yahoo's first page when you type our name and one of our keywords. Not the most likely thing people will type but its a start.

I also notice that often with our name entered our flckr or pbase pages will show up. Is this because they are such highly ranked sites?

Did you know that all the Signatures on the thephotoforum.com site are "nofollow" unless you are logged in? I'm guessing this prevents any sites like Google from indexing the links thus lowering your inbound links and not helping your SEO because they see your links as "nofollow".

I would think that if you were a supporting member you would at least have
"dofollow" in your signature? :thumbdown:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back