Good starter's digital camera?

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm asking is because I want to start to get into photography, and my birthday is in June. I am thinking about asking for a camera to start photography for my birthday, however my parents and I are on a tight budget, so even $250 is really pushing it. However, I will chip in the extra 50 if necessary.

I am an avid hiker, and would like to take wildlife photography when I go on hikes. I am 14, however I am pretty tech savvy, and can probably figure out how to use a camera by playing around with it a bit, so simplicity is not a factor in buying a camera. I think I will go with a lower-end DSLR, following asfixiate's advice. The reason I'm not shopping on ebay or craigslist now is because my birthday is in june, I just want to get a good feel for what some of the good cameras and prices are, and hopefully gain enough knowledge to make my decision then.

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm asking is because I want to start to get into photography, and my birthday is in June. I am thinking about asking for a camera to start photography for my birthday, however my parents and I are on a tight budget, so even $250 is really pushing it. However, I will chip in the extra 50 if necessary.

I am an avid hiker, and would like to take wildlife photography when I go on hikes. I am 14, however I am pretty tech savvy, and can probably figure out how to use a camera by playing around with it a bit, so simplicity is not a factor in buying a camera. I think I will go with a lower-end DSLR, following asfixiate's advice. The reason I'm not shopping on ebay or craigslist now is because my birthday is in june, I just want to get a good feel for what some of the good cameras and prices are, and hopefully gain enough knowledge to make my decision then.

I think that's a good idea. By the time June gets here, the price of a D40 may be even cheaper. You could definitely pick up a used body for that price. Add a used 18-55mm lens and you've got a very capable camera for a very affordable price.

Most reactions

Back