Good starter's digital camera?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would be the best starter's camera for $300 or under? I am very new to photography, and I am thinking I may want to get started. It doesn't have to be a top-of-the-notch SLR, but I don't really want a tiny point and shoot. What would all of you recommend?

you wont find a new DSLR for under $300. You may find a used one though...check ebay, craigslist and kijiji for used ones...

The Nikon D40 is a great camera. It's suppose to be the camera for beginners, that shoots like a pro... but they run about $499.... if your wanting a good camera, up your price a bit... the D40 is 499 and it comes with a decent lens for beginners.

If you're really trying to keep cost down, look into an advanced P&S. I have an earlier model of this camera...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

It doesn't allow for different lenses or filters, but it's been a really great tool for me to practice manual modes. The price is just over $300.00, you might be able to find it on sale somewhere as well.

Good luck!

Yea, I saw that camera at Best Buy, and I liked it. I don't really know what questions to ask about it because I am completely new to this, however in your opinion, is this a good camera for beginner photography?

Canon S3 or now S5 would be my choice.

What about getting a cheap 35mm Rebel 2000 or something to get you started with SLR.
You can get them on Ebay for less than $50.

I really don't want to use a film camera. I don't want to keep buying film, and I want to be able to send and edit pics without a scanner. Digital is a must.

My friend has the Lumix DMC-FZ8. I think that it is a very capable camera. It takes a little while getting used to, but it has a great lens and the image quality is very high at lower ISO.
I would not recommand it if you plan on taking a lot of shots indoor or in low light situation though. Otherwise you can go for it, you won't regret.

I will mostly be taking outdoor and nature shots.

I want a digital camera because I also want to be able to share most of my pics on the internet without a huge hassle, and all the money you saved on a film camera eventually comes back with the cost of film. No thank you.

you wont find a new DSLR for under $300. You may find a used one though...check ebay, craigslist and kijiji for used ones...

The Nikon D40 is a great camera. It's suppose to be the camera for beginners, that shoots like a pro... but they run about $499.... if your wanting a good camera, up your price a bit... the D40 is 499 and it comes with a decent lens for beginners.

They're selling d40s at my local walmart for $300

If it were me, I'd shop around until I found a used SLR that I could afford. The prices on the Nikon D40 are going down with the introduction of the D60. The Canon Rebels are in the same price range.

You could spend $300 on a point and shoot, but if you're serious about photography, you're going to want an SLR as soon as you get your feet wet. I think you should go ahead and try to find one now. You may have to pay a LITTLE more, but I'll bet you can find one pretty cheap. Don't get caught up in the latest model craze and you can find a deal.

If it were me, I'd shop around until I found a used SLR that I could afford. The prices on the Nikon D40 are going down with the introduction of the D60. The Canon Rebels are in the same price range.

You could spend $300 on a point and shoot, but if you're serious about photography, you're going to want an SLR as soon as you get your feet wet. I think you should go ahead and try to find one now. You may have to pay a LITTLE more, but I'll bet you can find one pretty cheap. Don't get caught up in the latest model craze and you can find a deal.

i agree with that statement completely. as soon as i started taking pictures with my dad's old minolta film camera i couldn't wait to get an slr. if i were you i'd go with the d40 if you have the necessary funds, i doubt you'll be let down.

If you're really trying to keep cost down, look into an advanced P&S. I have an earlier model of this camera...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

It doesn't allow for different lenses or filters, but it's been a really great tool for me to practice manual modes. The price is just over $300.00, you might be able to find it on sale somewhere as well.

Good luck!

Actually the Canon S5 IS does accept filters and macro, wide-angle & teleconverter lenses.

Get a cheap used SLR. You wouldn't want to buy a car that can only drive at night if you are serious about cars.

If you are going to be serious into photography get something that you're not going to be limited right off the bat. Nothing is wrong with point and shoot but once, like others have said, you get your feet wet you'll want more power and versatility.

I think you'll find 300 bucks could get you something rather nice on craigslist or a site site like that.

Find something around 300 and post a thread asking what we think. Noone would ever lead you astray here.

Think of it this way...if you spend 300 on a point and shoot and discover you're really into it you'll have to build up your budget again just to get a SLR body. If you get an SLR now you can build up your budget to get another lense.

Most reactions

Back