Good used camera?

Yeah, I say go for the D90 as the D80 has a CCD sensor. I've had the D80 and was a great body but the D90 is a much better body/sensor.

So I'm thinking of getting the D80? Will I have any regrets? I don't mind not having video.

For someone learning photography the D80 will be all you need and more. If the unit you can get for $300 is obviously one that has been well kept and is in perfect working order, get it. As an artist, it'll be quite a while before you find yourself limited by it...if ever.

If you ever do find yourself thinking "why can't I get pictures like that" it'll probably be either one of two things. You need to polish your skills and techniques or that you need to upgrade your glass.

Many of the cameras mentioned, D40, D40x, D80, D200, etc. were great cameras IN THEIR DAY, however their day has passed. They are still good cameras (before everyone jumps down my throat let me say that again, They are still good cameras!) but not in the same league as those being manufactured today. Sensor technology has improved, filter technology has improved, everything has improved. These have led to vastly improved low-light performance, increased resolution, improved sharpness, and a host of other features. If the older model cameras were up to today's standards Nikon would still be selling them.

I have a D60 that I purchased in late 2008. I still use it occasionally because it's small and packs easily on my motorcycle. Other than that it has been far surpassed by the D90 that I purchased in late 2009 and the D7000 that I purchased a couple of months ago. The evolution of digital cameras is similar to that of computers in that each generation of new equipment brings a host of new features and capabilities that weren't possible in the previous generations. My D90 shows more noise at ISO 400 than my D7000 does at ISO 1600, and the D90 is still in production.

Even though the D90 is still being sold it is the "Oldest" (released in August 2008) Nikon DSLR that I recommend. As I said, the older ones are good but in my opinion they are not in the same league as newer models.

Many of the cameras mentioned, D40, D40x, D80, D200, etc. were great cameras IN THEIR DAY, however their day has passed. They are still good cameras (before everyone jumps down my throat let me say that again, They are still good cameras!) but not in the same league as those being manufactured today. Sensor technology has improved, filter technology has improved, everything has improved. These have led to vastly improved low-light performance, increased resolution, improved sharpness, and a host of other features. If the older model cameras were up to today's standards Nikon would still be selling them.

I have a D60 that I purchased in late 2008. I still use it occasionally because it's small and packs easily on my motorcycle. Other than that it has been far surpassed by the D90 that I purchased in late 2009 and the D7000 that I purchased a couple of months ago. The evolution of digital cameras is similar to that of computers in that each generation of new equipment brings a host of new features and capabilities that weren't possible in the previous generations. My D90 shows more noise at ISO 400 than my D7000 does at ISO 1600, and the D90 is still in production.

Even though the D90 is still being sold it is the "Oldest" (released in August 2008) Nikon DSLR that I recommend. As I said, the older ones are good but in my opinion they are not in the same league as newer models.

the d90 is so expensive though.... welll compared to the d80... i just wanna start snapping photos right away...:lmao:

the d90 is so expensive though.... welll compared to the d80... i just wanna start snapping photos right away...:lmao:

I could care less about selling my D80 truthfully, but if you get one in your area in decent shape you WILL not regret it. And as someone pointed out it will be a long long time before you outgrow it's capabilities and you will be pleased with one.

If you are interested in buying the D80 from 2Wheel I'm sure he will give you the shutter count which is something you will be taking a gamble on if purchasing someplace else. I would have one to sell also if one of mine had not been stolen about two weeks ago. After ordering the D7000 I decided to sell my D40X then I cancelled the order on the D7000 and that left me with one D80 with no back up. Since I liked the D80 I ordered another one as a replacement for the backup D40X. Then I changed my mind AGAIN and re-ordered the D7000. That left me with one D80 that I didn't need but a thief took care of that problem.

I wouldn't have sold mine for any less than 2Wheel is asking for his though. Go for it.

Jerry

how is the d200 compared to the d80?
also if i was to buy the body only, what would be a good affordable lense ?

Last edited:
If you are interested in buying the D80 from 2Wheel I'm sure he will give you the shutter count which is something you will be taking a gamble on if purchasing someplace else. I would have one to sell also if one of mine had not been stolen about two weeks ago. After ordering the D7000 I decided to sell my D40X then I cancelled the order on the D7000 and that left me with one D80 with no back up. Since I liked the D80 I ordered another one as a replacement for the backup D40X. Then I changed my mind AGAIN and re-ordered the D7000. That left me with one D80 that I didn't need but a thief took care of that problem.

I wouldn't have sold mine for any less than 2Wheel is asking for his though. Go for it.

Jerry

Hate to hear yours was stolen! Shutter count is between 15,000 and 16,000 on mine. Heads up, state farm will insure your stuff at a very low cost.

how is the d200 compared to the d80?
also if i was to buy the body only, what would be a good affordable lense ?

I haven't had any experience with the D200 but as far as a lens since you're not going to have very much to spend maybe the 18-55 kit lens would be your best bet to start off, the older version instead of the newer VR version. Amazon has it.

Jerry

Jerry

Hate to hear yours was stolen! Shutter count is between 15,000 and 16,000 on mine. Heads up, state farm will insure your stuff at a very low cost.

I have my house and car insured with State Farm. This past Tuesday I listed all the items with serial numbers I wanted to insure, took the list to my State Farm Agent and haven't heard back yet. I expected better service from them. I'll call them tomorrow.

Jerry

Most reactions

Back