Gooses...geeses...meh.

flygning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
JerryBirding038e1.jpg

Water Ranch, Gilbert AZ

I know they're a *tad* blown out, but I liked the composition.

In photoshop I did an exposure adjustment for just the white areas (I did not shoot in RAW)-- is there any easier/better way to reduce the highlights, even if there is no way to bring detail back into them?

You can try the burn tool.

The composition is very nice, but us TPFers are kind of wildlife spoiled.

& just "geese." :)

Gooses and geeses are more interesting than geese? I'm going on a backpacking trip this weekend--maybe I'll find a bear to photograph and get some attention with :p

Is there any benefit to using the burn tool vs. the exposure adjustment, or is it mostly personal preference?

Well the exposure adjustment adjusts the brightness level of the entire photo, while the burn tool lets you darken the problem areas only.

I love the ripples and color of the water, but unfortunately the blow out and the slight unsharpness of the geese makes this pic less appealing than it could be.

I like the shot.. and it reminds me of a funny story.. while on my way to a college entrance exam with a buddy.. I explained my theory on Moose to him. I said it should be like this: 1 goose, 2 geese therefore 1 moose, 2 meese.
He didn't realize I was joking, then made reference to said "meese" in his college entrance essay..... Here's the funny thing.. he was still accepted!

I'm telling you, geeses and meese should be real words :p But, I have to ask, what was he doing talking about meese in an entrance essay??

As for the exposure adjustment, I used a mask so it only affected the geese themselves, while I did a curves adjustment to bring out the rest of the photo. I did, however, fail to do any sharpness adjustment, which could help. I've never gotten the burn tool to look quite right. It always ends up looking gray instead of just less white...if that makes much sense :)

Thanks for the input!

Most reactions

Back