got a b800 today!

Paparoksguitar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
my first flash. I'm stocked so i did a really quick self portrait after school today. :)

papaweb.jpg

believe it or not, that's my bed behind me, and those are my sheets. Nice backdrop though. I over processed a little. :-\

heres one i did of my brother:
jamieregweb.jpg

jamiewowweb.jpg

^^stupid suprised looks run in the family huh?

Anyway let me know if you have any tips or anything for me. Finding the right exposure with the flash was a little tough but i think with strobist and my experimentation today i figured it out.

Opps..... I was definitely drunk typing last night and having way too much fun.

Post content removed.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Very nice shots, I've been debating on what type of lights to use recently and seeing the B800 in action has sealed the deal for me.

Question, is the B800 the only lighting source used in these photos?

The first shot looks pretty good, and it does NOT look like on-camera flash. At all. The huge catchlights in the eyes show it's clearly not a hot-shoe flash.

The skin processing is separate from the lighting, and shots 2 and 3 make your bro look like he's a plastic mannequin; in shot 3 with his mouth agape, he looks like one of those department store mannequins they use in beach wear--you know, the mannequin-dude who's standing there next to a bikini-wearing mannequin-babe model, and he's posed there, having "fun!". I think you could safely back off the PP on the skin a bit and go for a more natural looking flesh appearance.

My question: are you using the modeling lamp in the AB? 'Cause the pupils are positively huge, which I think makes people look drugged out. Or are the modeling lamps really weak or something?

Very nice shots, I've been debating on what type of lights to use recently and seeing the B800 in action has sealed the deal for me.

Question, is the B800 the only lighting source used in these photos?

I used an B800 with a reflective umbrella, and then i just did a bit of pp. So yeah it is the only light source use. Alienbees are amazing though, i dont think you'd regret it.

Lol @ derrel I will definetly lighten up on the skin. i definetly overdid it. Thanks for the tip btw about turning off the modeling lamp! I didn't even think about that but it makes sense, i'll turn it off once i have it set next time.

Thanks a ton for all your comments guys :)

Most reactions

Back