Was I right in my decision, or could I have done the shoot?

• You should have taken the offer, and then have seen if it was legal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should have done more research and then if it was 100% legal, you should have done the shoot.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I believe I have to clarify some points here...

I did not know the model's age, until after I knew all the other details about the hotel room, foot modeling, lingerie, etc. As I learned more about the type of shoot that this man was requesting, the more weary and uneasy I got about it. As I started to talk to him, he first mentioned that it was going to be a "senior photo style", he later elaborated on that it would be foot photos, and that the model (who at the time I didn't know her age, as that bit came after everything else) was only 15. That was a bit alarming, but I do realize that foot models are needed for magazines and ads to model shoes, socks, and other foot attire.

My stance on shooting erotic images definitely doesn't mean that I would go through with this particular situation. After learning of the model's age, I declined his offer, because the model herself was underage, and not knowing any of the legal matter, and after looking it up, finding that there is a bunch of grey areas, I declined. I knew that I was going to decline the offer even before looking up the legality on photographer forums. I simply wanted to see what other photographers have done, as this would have been my first gig. Furthermore, the suspicious situation of the model and her supposed father and their request, made me decline the gig.

I am more than comfortable shooting nude photos of people in an artistic sense, as currently being a nude model myself at my university, I have come to appreciate it. But of course, due to the model being a minor and under the age of 18, I declined the photo gig. Like I had said previously, had she been 18, I would have considered doing it, yet still with high caution, but she was not 18, therefore I declined it.

this doesn't clarify anything. You say that the first thing you talked about was senior photos. That means the model is a minor. So before you talked about anything else, you knew she was underage. Neither foot modeling nor hotels nor lingerie have anything to do with senior photos.
Good point, however, she could have been 18, I was 18 as a senior, furthermore he said that the photos would be styled as senior photos, not that they would specifically be senior photos.

Now I'm curious about any followup with this offer. Have you and the man continued any communication? Have you received any other offers of a similar nature? What is your disposition of the original offer? Can you tell us your thoughts after reading our responses?

Now I'm curious about any followup with this offer. Have you and the man continued any communication? Have you received any other offers of a similar nature? What is your disposition of the original offer? Can you tell us your thoughts after reading our responses?

I dont think they would be suitable for public consumption. :bouncingsmileys:

No one realizes that a "senior" could be a 22 year old in college?

Defiantly right decision on turning it down and I would probably bring your findings to some authority.

In one context, a "senior" is someone 60 or older. There's a vision for you.
My evil twin (currently chained to the wall) is mumbling something about keeping the number and checking back in a few years. :p

OK, I'm done. I have to go wash in bleach and rubbing alcohol.

When I saw Senior and that this was a US based discussion I figured 60+ which in the uk we call OAP (Old Age Pensioners). The only potential lie that the potential client is his relationship with the girl. The changing circumstances of the shoot would lead me no to trust the 'client'. However, if I were someone with nefarious intentions, I wouldn't tell the photographer that the 'model' was 15. I would say 18 at least. After all, how would the photographer know unless he asked for proof of age?

Personally I think you were right to decline it as there are all sorts of weird scenarios here.

Well I think the moment he mentioned feet you should have shot the price up to a thousand dollars and told him ok but only the feet. After all how's the prosecutor going to prove they were underage feet...

When I saw Senior and that this was a US based discussion I figured 60+ which in the uk we call OAP (Old Age Pensioners). The only potential lie that the potential client is his relationship with the girl. The changing circumstances of the shoot would lead me no to trust the 'client'. However, if I were someone with nefarious intentions, I wouldn't tell the photographer that the 'model' was 15. I would say 18 at least. After all, how would the photographer know unless he asked for proof of age?

Personally I think you were right to decline it as there are all sorts of weird scenarios here.

in the US, Senior Photography is an entire field of commercial photography that has nothing to do with older people. The senior year is the final year (grade 12) of public secondary education. Graduation is in May/June and students are generally 17-18. Senior photos are usually taken at the beginning of the senior year, so the students could be as young as 16 at that time. Lots of photographers specialize in shooting senior photos, which are used in the school yearbook, invitations, announcements, etc. Obviously, senior photos don't involve feet, lingerie or hotel rooms. As for proof of age, any intelligent photographer is going to insist on identification with proof of age if they are going to shoot a younger person, particularly if there is anything slightly risqué.

Well I think the moment he mentioned feet you should have shot the price up to a thousand dollars and told him ok but only the feet. After all how's the prosecutor going to prove they were underage feet...

Lol.. fiendishly clever. Disturbing.. but still, clever.

Robbins just a little humor there, This whole thread is a joke, troll post perhaps? Advertise for a "model" on Craig's List, responder is "dad" wanting to bring fifteen year old "daughter" to hotel room for photography. Sounds like a situation where the photographer would be asked to pay the $250 ha ha. I am in Colombia which has a libertine reputation (especially thanks to the U.S.Secret Service) and any man, woman or girl on the street could tell you what that ad is calling for.

Robbins just a little humor there, This whole thread is a joke, troll post perhaps? Advertise for a "model" on Craig's List, responder is "dad" wanting to bring fifteen year old "daughter" to hotel room for photography. Sounds like a situation where the photographer would be asked to pay the $250 ha ha. I am in Colombia which has a libertine reputation (especially thanks to the U.S.Secret Service) and any man, woman or girl on the street could tell you what that add is calling for.

Lol.. guess they forgot about that whole "Secret" part. Whoops.

Ya, the whole thing sounds pretty hoaky from the get go, probably just some guy who was bored and looking through craigslist ads and he probably called a couple just to see how outlandish he could get before they turned him down.

However, if I were someone with nefarious intentions, I wouldn't tell the photographer that the 'model' was 15.
Until he shows up with a 13-year-old model.

My two cents: skip Craig's list et al, get your self a couple of girl friends and take lots of pictures of them.

However, if I were someone with nefarious intentions, I wouldn't tell the photographer that the 'model' was 15.
Until he shows up with a 13-year-old model.

Lol.. well like I said earlier, the minute he mentioned the feet thing I would have hung up. Never would have heard the rest. Ya, I'm a prude.. lol

I've shot agency models that are 16 with parents present and they're clean shoots. Even THAT is uncomfortable at times, can't even fathom this lol

Most reactions

Back