Got My Camera Today!

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, thank you to ALL WHO gave me advice and info on every question I had...and there were alot. This site is fantastic.

As those who come here regularly know, I was looking at Canon and Nikon entry level cameras. I narrowed it down to the Nikon d60 or the Canon XS. I received pros and cons, and ultimately decided that the Nikon was going to be the camera.

Throughout the info I was given, one statement stood out the most, and that was to make sure you held each camera in your hand and let how it feels play a role in your decision.

Once I got to the camera store (STAPLES), I held both the Nikon D60 and Canon XS in my hands. Immediatly, I felt way more comfortable with the Canon. I played around with the settings, and I kept going back to loving the Live View...it just felt right. The more I started playing with both cameras, I could not get over how the Canon just felt right in my hands.

In the end, although I was 100% going for the Nikon when I got to the store, nothing could get me passed how much better the Canon felt in my hands. So ultimately, I purchased the Canon XS as my first camera to begin my hobby. I only have the kit lense with it, but it is a start to a newly found hobby.

Again, thanks for all the information. I am now a Canon owner with far more knowledge of Nikon Lenses than Canon....as I did all my lense research on the Nikon lenses. Now to learn the Canon Lense terminology!

First lense purchase will be the 50 1.8 lense. Probably next month.

Thanks again to all!

Bp4life.

The Canon lens terminology is very simple. Congrats on the new camera! It won't take long for you to fall in love with Canon's unmatched lens line-up!

Congrats for your purchase .... You will be happy with your XS. (I am sure if you buy the D60, you will enjoy it too)

The EF 50mm F/1.8 lens is my first lens (other than the one shipped with the body) as well. Love that lens. Although I sold it later and replaced it with a older version, but it is a great lens for what it cost.

Read some lens review sites such as www.slrgear.com, Welcome to Photozone! and dpreview.com .... You can learn more about lens over there.

wow! congratulations on your first camera! I wanted to buy one soon but m still thinking of what to buy. As of the moment i have the canon sx20 is. :thumbup:

Great choice, you're in for hours and hours of fun. :)

Canon lens terminology is simple.

L series lenses stand for 'luxury'; ie, the pro range. Best quality, best build. And that's all you need to know, except that USM means there will be faster focusing.

You don't need to worry about which lens can autofocus with whatever camera... all focus motors are in lenses already.

Congratulations. ;)

Congratulations on your camera purchase. The photo on the main page of my website was taken with a Rebel XS and a 50 1.8 lens.

Most reactions

Back