Got my first DSLR! Now what?

stevedizzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my first DSLR, found a great deal on a Rebel T1i. It came with a carrying case, a kit lens (EF-S 18mm-55mm) and a telephoto lens (55mm-250mm). This is my entry level camera, what next? I have taken an interest into macro photography and would like some basics to get me started. Can't afford a macro lens at the moment, I don't know where to go from here. Extension tubes? Thanks in advance.

First, RTFM.
Second RTFM again.
Third Read Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books
In between reading, shoot pictures, lots of pictures practicing what you have read.

As for Macro, probably the best bet is extension tubes. They are cheaper than a dedicated Macro lens of any quality, they hold their value well and if you do someday decide to get a dedicated macro lens you can use them with that macro lens to get closer than 1:1. If you decide you don't like macro you can always sell the tubes.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Take lots and lots of pictures. You will tend to learn on your own what gear you need next. Let your shooting help point you in the direction you want to go.

If you have to ask "What next?", sell the all the gear. You're not motivated enough. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back