Got my Strobing equipment :) Some pics of the Girlfriend - C&C please

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry that the pictures are taken in my apartment. She was all dressed up for the party so I figured I would take some pictures with my new stuff. The equipment I used is 2 umbrellas and stands. a 430 ex . A Vivitar 550 flash. And some cactus v4's.

Here are some pictures where I tried to make the lighting look natural
strobe1.jpg

strobe2.jpg

And here are some where I tried to get a little more artistic with the flashes. They were taken without the umbrellas. I think they look neat let me know what you think. Sorry about the lens flare... however, I think in some aspects it adds to the pictures

strobe3.jpg

strobe4.jpg

strobe5.jpg

The lens flare and ghosting on the last photo is kind of unfortunate. I can see the light stand at the left edge of the picture--a good lens hood is really helpful when you have the lights angled back toward the camera as yuo do in frames 3,4,and 5.

I think the pose in #1 is pretty good, but that the light on her body is too weak in comparison to the light on the wall at the left of the frame, which is kind of bright and overpowering.

In pose #2, you captured her looking nice,natural ,and very pretty. The lighting looks good too--light,breezy, and perfectly exposed. Considering that you JUST got this lighting stuff, you're doing okay. I do think a couple of small umbrellas would help soften your lighting,and would prevent the strong flare and ghosting you're getting now.

She's a very photogenic subject,and the red hair really really suits her.

Yeah, the lens flare kills it in most of the pics for me. I don't care for the lighting in #1 all that much, too harsh and doesn't transition smoothly.

She's very pretty, you're a lucky guy. Hopefully she'll keep modeling so you can master your lighting skills.

Love them all, except the last one, she's very pretty !!

I personally love flare, but it feels too unnatural in an indoor scene. I don't know why it would make a difference, but if these were shot outdoors and the flare appeared to be coming from the sun, it might have worked for me.
Your girlfriend is gorgeous and definitely a natural for modeling. You're very lucky to have her handy to practice on.

I like #3 and #4 if they didn't have all that stray light from the flash going on.

Keep working on it. Your GF is gorgeous, and makes a great subject. Keep snapping pics of her, we will glady C&C them all day long:lol:

guess she dyed her hair lol

the 2nd one looks the best to me in terms of lighting

I think you should take naked pics of her

Inappropriate much, Fokker?

To the OP: #3 is my favorite. It's one place where the flared lighting adds to, rather than detracts from the image though the one flared circle on her lips is unfortunate.

All of these photos are definitely a lesson in 'pay attention to your background'. The background in each one posted weakens the image.

Really with the naked Pictures comment? really? they look good bro and about the lens flare all ima say is that art is subjective. If u like it its all that matters. Keep at it and in my opinion she looks better in red hair.

strobe3.jpg

I'd like this one without the background. Congratulations on at least having the balls to try something and see if it works. Now that you can see it kinda does, tweak it and try again.

Also check out a dvd called One-Light Photography. It's put out by Zack Arias. It is "costly", but it can be had for a steal on the web if you look hard enough. It will open your eyes and get you incredibly amped for the possibilities.

Thanks everyone. Today we are going out and I'm going to do an outdoor photoshoot with my lighting equipment. I will post a few tonight and see what you guys think. Again sorry for the horrible background. I was just trying out the lights :)

Most reactions

Back