Got my Tamron 90mm F/2.8 macro today

Boz Mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked it up this morning. The add said $200 firm, but the guy took $150 for it. I really like it, but its hard to shoot macro and get a clean shot. The one thing that I dont like is the really shallow DOF, even at the higher f stops like 22 and up its still really shallow, but that's life I guess. Anyway, heres some of the keepers from my first day of shooting macro, thers kinda a lot but its easy for me to upload them so I'll post a lot:

dsc0076mediumhi4.jpg

dsc0036mediumbz5.jpg

dsc0038mediumcr4.jpg

dsc0045mediumbx6.jpg

dsc0047mediumdr4.jpg

dsc0055mediumti5.jpg

dsc0059mediumzh9.jpg

The grainyness of the images is because I was trying to shoot at f/16 and above to gain some DOF so I had to bump the ISO so I wasnt shooting with like a 1 second shutter. Again this is my first time so I look forward to some good pointers. I really wish 4 would have came out better too.

A good start; you're right, the shallow DoF of the lens is one of the big challenges in getting really good macro captures. Whenever possible, use a tripod, and typically don't go much past the middle of your lenses apeture range as sharpness starts to fall off after that. The other big challenge is lighting. Your on-camera flash is all but useless, however an assortment of home reflectors and diffusers can make all the difference, as can an inexpensive ring light.

I agree with tirediron. There really is a learning curve to macro. You have to keep your aperture at f8 or above to get reasonable DOF and then you get light starved. It's a never-ending challenge -- but fun :)

You did better than I did -- I don't think I had any keepers my first day!

I really like your tarantula

The tarantula was fun....I wasnt even focusing at the 1:1 part of the lens and I still was having a difficult time getting the focus right...

One of the first things I learned was shooting handheld for macro shots really doesn't work well. Tripod is a must, heck, even a focusing rail is a Godsend.

The lens is probably more sharp than what's being exhibited here, but I'd conduct a sharpness test to see.

Sweet deal. A true Macro lens for $150 is a steal and stopped down to the F14-F22 I would use the lens at it's bound to be sharp regardless.

Using such small apertures to get more DOF is why I think an off camera diffused flash is such an essential (or at least helpful) tool with macro's.

While I can only go to 1:2 magnification with my current setup, I've had very good luck handheld w/ the off camera flash. Then again, I'm sure that going to 1:1 would be twice as difficult.

One of the first things I learned was shooting handheld for macro shots really doesn't work well. Tripod is a must, heck, even a focusing rail is a Godsend.

The lens is probably more sharp than what's being exhibited here, but I'd conduct a sharpness test to see.

how do you conduct said "sharpness test"?

Great pictures. I will definitely be checking out that lens when I start looking for a macro lens.

Just wondering, what state do you live in? I'm in San Diego, CA. I just noticed that one of your pictures is of a Japanese Beetle. We (West Coast) are trying hard to keep them away.

dsc0004mediumkg2.jpg

dsc0085mediumop9.jpg

Yay, nay? Better worse? I think this is better. The DOF issue is more because the subject is moving not so much my hand. I love this lens though :thumbup:

BTW, I live in Illinois

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back