Got ripped a new one for my first HDR try, how about the second try

Now, the reason this sounds so silly is because people are STILL using the term HDR incorrectly. This image is not HDR. It is tone mapped. HDR is a concept. Tone mapping is a technique. The technique used to get that look is called tone mapping, not HDR. You even basically said this in your post:

Normally I'd be the first in by your side correcting you. People call anything HDR these days, in some cases images that didn't even go through tonemapping let alone get made from multiple exposures. But really I've given up caring. I'm still fighting a war getting people to not use PPI and DPI interchangeably when talking about prints.

Ok, let me add another inequality then.

Tone Mapping + Tilting camera 45 degrees != Creative

That sound about right?

Who said anything about creativity? It's just a look. **** man some of these type of images even win awards.

And it's crooked to boot.
Yeah but a) he said he was going for the effect so in his eyes it's straight, and b) you're a disrespectful idiot so what's your point.

'Going for the effect' is no excuse. It's a question whether the 'effect' should be "gone for", innit?

Respect mah authoritay!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2550/3790560366_743f77855f_o.jpg

I know plenty of non-photographers who would think this picture is cool. Your opinion isn't the only one that matters.

I know plenty of non-photographers who would think this picture is crap. Your opinion isn't the only one that matters.

(Amazing what a change of 3 letters can do, eh?)

Normally I'd be the first in by your side correcting you. People call anything HDR these days, in some cases images that didn't even go through tonemapping let alone get made from multiple exposures. But really I've given up caring. I'm still fighting a war getting people to not use PPI and DPI interchangeably when talking about prints.

It's still no excuse to get these things mixed up. Calling tone mapping HDR shows a lot of ignorance. I'm not saying your ignorant, because it appears you know what you're talking about. Just because you use Photomatix doesn't make it HDR. Unfortunately, people think the way overused tone mapping look actually looks cool, and as long as that's the case, it will be called HDR.

And don't get me started on PPI/DPI, lol.

Who said anything about creativity? It's just a look. **** man some of these type of images even win awards.

I never said all of them look terrible. There was a photographer I saw a couple years ago that was using the effect very well, and appropriately. The problem is, everyone is trying to use the effect on images that it simply doesn't work with. Aesthetically, I don't like the look on most images. But like all tools and photographic effects we can apply today, there is a time and a place. This simply wasn't one of them.

And it's crooked to boot.
Yeah but a) he said he was going for the effect so in his eyes it's straight, and b) you're a disrespectful idiot so what's your point.[/QUOTE][/quote]

I never thought I'd defend PP, but the OP wanted opinions on the shot. PP gave his opinion that he didn't like that it was crooked. I don't like it either. It doesn't really work in this shot. He's shooting from too high an angle, and from too far away from the subject for it to work. It placed emphasis on the background, which the train doesn't really work for this shot. Wider angle (maybe even fisheye), shot from a lower angle, with a less busy background, and it probably would have worked. I understand what the OP was going for, it simply didn't work. That's ok too. Now he will learn something, go back, and try again. It's not a big deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back