The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It was my birthday a few days ago and my 3 oldest children got together and suggested that I buy a camera, any camera and they would pay for it.
I asked what money are we talking about and they said anything up to 5 or 6 k.

I love street photography, really like the form factor of my Olympus and have pretty much all the lenses I need. I never print larger than 11 x 14 so I don't really need more megapixels. I wouldn't mind a full-frame, but my absolute requirements are - easy to handle and light to carry, sharp lenses and fast focus.

Who wants to get loaded down with big heavy cameras and bigger, heavier lenses?

My needs/wants pretty much fell in line with this http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/full_frame_myth.shtml

The Sony A7 line really tempted me, slightly larger, really decent lenses now and many more to come (supposedly), great high iso and gorgeous quality. What turned me off was the slowness to focus. (My omd-5 is lightning fast). Regardless of all the poncing about about Sony, I wasn't concerned about Sony abandoning the camera business in 3 or 4 years; life is too short to worry about that.

Well I thought about it a lot, looked at all the available cameras and thought really hard - and decided not to buy anything now.
For me it was a triumph over GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and more of a focus on the real purpose of all this effort, which is making pictures.

Sounds like an ideal time for some OMD accessories ;)

That said sounds like you made the right choice for you - I know its very easy to get loads of gear to do everything really fantastically well ;but if its too heavy or too bulky it just won't get used. I know I'd love to have my camera with me more; but to do what I want with what I've got it ends up being a lot to carry - especially if I'm doing other things.

Sounds like you could maybe turn that gift into a really great trip out - go somewhere fantastic you really would like to go to and yet have never been to or maybe something else.

Very nice of them! I would like to know what you settle upon.

I'm sure you looked into the Fuji line of mirrorless cameras? What is it about Olympus that you like more than Fuji (if that's the case)?

I've been drooling over a X100T (or S) and the XT-1. I'd love something like that for street/walkaround stuff!

I'm a bit strange in that I can't have something around that I don't use and buying something that I know I won't use is against the grain for me.
I am going to Laos for most of February anyway and, if my wife is able, to Italy in the fall for a month.
It was the 'free camera' business that got me thinking.
I see too many posts from people just wanting to buy stuff - and its clear they love gear and the picture stuff just happens to go along with it.
I don't want to get sucked into that thinking.

I think also online its easy to get the idea that more people are focused on gear because its easy to talk about. You don't have to process that shot that's good and then upload it and then link to it and stuff - you just open up a thread and start chatting.

IT also generally gets attention and discussion more easily than photo threads - so it kind of acts like its own worst enemy because its so easy to talk about (plus we all like a bit of moral support when we are about to drop big cash on hobbies).

I'm sure you looked into the Fuji line of mirrorless cameras? What is it about Olympus that you like more than Fuji (if that's the case)?

I've been drooling over a X100T (or S) and the XT-1. I'd love something like that for street/walkaround stuff!

The Fuji is only a minor difference in sensor size and the quality difference is irrelevant in how I shoot.
Either a FF, good high iso and fast focus or nothin' will make me change.

I have the EM5 and EM1. Yes the AF is lightening fast ... but ... I am a Fuji Fan Boy. Take a hard look at the Fuji XT1 ... it is the same size as the Oly's but sports a APS-C sensor (50% larger). The sensor is wonderful, and offers a different rendering than your typical Bayer sensors. Fujinon lenses are at a minimum as sharp as L glass and reasonable priced. With the aperture ring on the lens and shutter speed, ISO, Exposure Comp, et al on top ... the XT1 is designed for manual control. If you want an extremely sexy camera, (and who doesn't), play with the XP1. (Unfortunately the XP1 is first generation and the AF is a dog compared to the XE@ and XT1.) For easy travel, look at the X100T, (as sexy as the XP1), it sports an EVF and optical viewfinder. The X100T is a fixed 23mm lens, which in use is quite liberating to shoot. For some of my travels I only take my X100S (the 'T' is the newest literation of the X100 line). The fixed lens X100 series is great when traveling with non-photographers.

_GA11074.jpg

ISO 3200

_DSF1505-X2.jpg

ISO 6400

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

Last edited:
You are quite the role model in every way. I'm not so sure I would have your restraint. :)

I think I just wrote some of what Lew just wrote in a different thread. NOT nearly as well.

The Fuji is only a minor difference in sensor size and the quality difference is irrelevant in how I shoot.
Either a FF, good high iso and fast focus or nothin' will make me change.

Where this idea of a minor difference between 4/3 and aps-c comes from?
4/3 sensor is 178 sq mm
Fuji sensor is 329 sq mm
that means it's area is 84% larger.
I would not call it minor.

As for the birthday present - treat yourself with a nice little Leica. As you say, life is too short.

Last edited:
5-6k would buy a bitchin motorcycle

Or a D810 and some primes [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

But really, congrats on the triumph over GAS. Interested to see what you end up with and how you like it.

Most reactions

Back