That image is of a neat machine, and the link you gave did fill in some of the blanks about its significance. But in terms of offering any C&C, can't improve on an image showing what you saw. You didn't have a really wide angle shot of the area, did you?
This particular time I deliberately constrained the angle of view. This was taken with a 70-200mm lens... at about 80mm (I think that's right. I'm not peeking at the EXIF data but I
always leave the EXIF intact (my personal opinion on Photography websites as that part of the point is to share how we created an image) ALTHOUGH Flickr strips it out. If you follow the link to Flickr you can click the "Action -> View EXIF Data" to see it.
Sometimes an image needs context. If you can't take in the whole view then you don't know what it is. Other images don't require context because the object is already understood and there's interest in the detail. Car photos qualify in that category (just about everyone knows what a "whole" car is supposed to look like... so when a photographer takes a shot of just part of a car, most people can figure out that it's (a) it's a car and (b) which part of the car they are looking at.).
The problem with this image is that most people don't know what a steam engine looks like (unless it's a steam locomotive), but I personally like the image to be close enough to show detail (at least of the interesting parts.) Probably everyone figured out that the large white circular area in the bottom right is the flywheel. The Gothic cathedral arches are the feature that drew me in, so that's what I focused on. I *might* have an image taken years ago that show more of the engine (then again... I might not.)
I had my 14mm wide angle and my 24-70mm zoom with me at the time. Actually the 24-70 was on the camera as I approached it, and I switched to the 70-200 to get this angle of view.
I should ask others for an opinion. When you look at this image (which probably shows less than half of the engine... albeit the more interesting and beautiful half -- the rest of the engine doesn't have these gothic features), do you find yourself drawn to the architectural shapes or do you find yourself asking why I didn't show the whole steam engine?