Graffiti C&C

Nolan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out shooting and I took a handful of shots with graffiti as the main subject. I have not shot this subject matter before so I am kind of unfamiliar with it. Can you leave C&C, and fill me in if you can if there is a right and a wrong way to photograph graffiti.

4516474662_9775e409d5.jpg

Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/14.0
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 800

4515838845_8f190b273a.jpg

Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/14.0
Focal Length: 45 mm
ISO Speed:

I think graffiti works better as a background or a supplement to another subject... It works well for car photos and sometimes people portraits.

Also, if you had pulled back a bit and shown the surroundings I think I would like it more.

I think graffiti works better as a background or a supplement to another subject... It works well for car photos and sometimes people portraits.
Some think graffiti is one of the worst backgrounds for car and people shots. :D

Some think graffiti is one of the worst backgrounds for car and people shots. :D

Do they like straight two-dimensional pictures of it?

You may not like Bitter's answer but he is right. If you were to search the graffiti threads here you would find the same response in most of them.

Think about it, if I were to post a photo of someone else painting or sculpture with nothing else around it, what would you say?

Now, on the other hand, if you had told us you were documenting the art of graffiti, it would be a totally different story. Especially since those two are kind of nice.

You may not like Bitter's answer but he is right. If you were to search the graffiti threads here you would find the same response in most of them.

Think about it, if I were to post a photo of someone else painting or sculpture with nothing else around it, what would you say?

Now, on the other hand, if you had told us you were documenting the art of graffiti, it would be a totally different story. Especially since those two are kind of nice.

I see where your coming from. This is reason why i said fill me in, in my initial post.

I personally love taking photos of graffiti and other urban art. I do some city walks downtown trying to find new graffitis to capture.

When you take them, try and keep the overall composition in mind. If you see a face, then think of taking a portrait of the face using typical portrait framing. Or use the art as a setting for a bigger shot. I'll PM you some examples of the art I found locally to show you what I mean.

While it is someone else's art, I've actually met an artist while I was doing some shots in an alley and he loved that I was taking photos of the art. In many cases, alot of the great artwork gets washed off, and if someone takes a photo, it will live on. :)

Graffiti sucks and I hate seeing people glamorize it. Its vandalism not art. It cost the city of New York 13 million dollars a couple years ago. That is tax payer money.

I try to shoot old building and railroad bridges and the Graffiti RUINS my photos. Not to mention most of the time it is gangs marking there territory.

ART, no way.

Craig

Most reactions

Back