What's new

Graffiti

Kind of sad on the first and especially the last. Ruined good landscaping and scenery. The car one is amusing on the chain gate.
 
Is this near the place you live?
 
I hate that people think it's ok to destroy property that's not theirs. That being said, I live by the train tracks and saw some really amazing graffiti on a train that went by. I'll never think it's ok though to graffiti something that isn't yours.
 
I'll bet the English teacher in you had quite a time with that first one.

simplybarb; surely you don't expect them to mark up their own stuff?
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
Is this near the place you live?

Yes, this is about 20 minutes from where I live. Well, 20 minutes to drive to the town and some more time to hike to the ruins.

I'll bet the English teacher in you had quite a time with that first one.

simplybarb; surely you don't expect them to mark up their own stuff?

The first one, astonishingly enough, is grammatically correct. I'm just not particularly impressed by someone who feels the need to declare his or her love by painting on a rock. ;)
 
I'll bet the English teacher in you had quite a time with that first one.

simplybarb; surely you don't expect them to mark up their own stuff?

Of course not Lew! Then they would be destroying stuff that they spent their hard earned money on!
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
The first one, astonishingly enough, is grammatically correct.

Upon closer inspection, I now see there is an ampersand which I had overlooked the first time.
 
Good shooting! I enjoyed seeing these. I'm absolutely not a fan of vandalism nor the vandals who think their spray-can crap is "art", but you managed to make some good photos of their offal.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
Thanks, Derrel! :D
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #13
Graffiti is an interesting thing. So much of it is ugly, yes, and I feel adds no value to public space. But sometimes the artist is really talented, and but for the fact that it was painted illegally on someone else's property, it would be considered public art. That's certainly a grey area for me. Just look at 5 Pointz: PHOTOS | 5 POINTZ Of course, that building was just painted over just 6 months ago: Artists Bid Sad Farewell To 5 Pointz, New York City's Graffiti Mecca

Here's a better picture of the "after." I think it looks a lot uglier without the grafitti: Graffiti mecca 5 Pointz erased overnight | New York Post

All that said, urban spaces are one thing. Nature is quite another thing. It was annoying to see the things painted on the rocks and ruins of the building. I didn't mind the Arf on the metal fence - the fence itself, after all, was unnatural in that setting.

But no worries, the rest of the walk was graffiti free, and in fact, there was a lot of evidence that nature was reclaiming what is hers:

Waterfall over a broken wall:

Smooth water by limrodrigues, on Flickr

(Yes, I know the rocks could have been a bit sharper, but that was at 1/2 shutter speed hand-held, bitches :mrgreen: Just braced against my knees.)
 
Did you by any chances try to crop a bit the upper parts of the frame? Talking about #1
(Yes, I know the rocks could have been a bit sharper, but that was at 1/2 shutter speed hand-held, bitches :mrgreen: Just braced against my knees.)
well done Leonore ;)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #15
Did you by any chances try to crop a bit the upper parts of the frame? Talking about #1
(Yes, I know the rocks could have been a bit sharper, but that was at 1/2 shutter speed hand-held, bitches :mrgreen: Just braced against my knees.)
well done Leonore ;)

Thanks :)

I did crop a bit off the top in the one with the painted rock. Not a lot, though. Here is the original, sooc.

$Dream sooc rs.webp

And the edited, so you can compare without scrolling:

$rs Dream.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom