GRAIN AND NOISE - ANALOG PHOTOGRAPHY

Here is my offering. We wanted to test some expired HIE film before taking it along on vacation - picture of our former house in Georgia:

i liked the wheelbarrow, have good colors with a good contrast.

;)

I agree - there is something special about this wheelbarrow shot. One of those that makes you pause and enjoy! :)

Many thanks to you both :)

I'm quite intrigued by that infrared film.

This is expired Fuji Superia 200

Scan-130620-0003-XL.jpg

Polaroid Type 665 PN, scanned from the negative:

$Cave.jpg

I miss that stuff, and carrying around a tupperware of hypoclear full of negatives. :)

I don't really shoot any expired film, but I push film all the time. Usually, at least one of my three cameras will have a roll being pushed in it (Kentmere 400 being pushed to 800 in the XA right now, which isn't much - but the XA can't be set to an ISO higher than 800).

I also like a little redscale every now and then. And I experimented with 'film destruction' once. Not sure how I feel about that.

01261102 by J E, on Flickr

Arista Premium 100 pushed to 1000 (barely even looks pushed to me):

05111111 by J E, on Flickr

Arista Premium 100 pushed to 500:

2012080510 by J E, on Flickr

I don't really have any 'experimental' photos other than stuff like that.

Well, except maybe stuff with the Lensbaby, because you never quite know how those are going to turn out, haha. I liked this one though:

2013052712 by J E, on Flickr

OK, that's probably too many pictures, lol.

Love the TIE fighter.

Redscale can be fun sometimes.

$day-36-redscale-river.jpg

$day-36-redscale-tech.jpg

I know this first question might sound a bit judgmental, but it really is out of pure curiosity: Why push the film? How is the effect of pushing 100 to 1000 differ from just shooting 1000 (just using the numbers on your first b&w as an example)? When you're still shooting the film, do you expose for 100 and then you push it to 1000 when processing the film?

I know this first question might sound a bit judgmental, but it really is out of pure curiosity: Why push the film? How is the effect of pushing 100 to 1000 differ from just shooting 1000 (just using the numbers on your first b&w as an example)? When you're still shooting the film, do you expose for 100 and then you push it to 1000 when processing the film?

I expose and develop for 1000 (or whatever I'm pushing to).

An obvious reason is that high ISO films are pretty rare. Ilford Delta 3200 is even technically being pushed if you shoot it at 3200. Basically, if you want an ISO above 400, you have to push.

You get more contrast too, and generally more grain. That's the main reason I do it - I just like the "look" of it. And sometimes just for the added speed.

I actually have a roll of Rollei Redbird in my 1N RS right now. Exposing that one for 100. I have another roll in the freezer that I exposed at 200. (I'm waiting till I have about 10 rolls ready to develop before I mix up my C-41 kit.) I like redscale film, but due to it being redscaled, you almost have to overexpose it by at least a stop. From what I've seen, redscaled film is pretty much impossible to overexpose - the more exposure it gets, the more 'normal' it looks.

Thanks for the explanation. Don't plan on doing any push processing in the near future, but it's something to consider once I am more comfortable with the basics.

Most reactions

Back