What's new

Grandpa's Smut in the Shed

Mike Lamb

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
1,641
Reaction score
598
Location
Chicago
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
smutjpg.jpg
 
The way the image is cropped here, there is no sense of place. It is just a frame full of faded girlie photos with a distracting ring and a paintbrush in the middle. If you back up and also photograph some of the wall around it, you give a much stronger sense of place and would do a better job at telling a story. I can see some of the texture of the wood in the lower right corner. Texture of wall around these two posters will add quite a bit to the image! Just my 2 pfennigs!
 
Nice, I bet that gal on the right is 101 years old by now
bigthumb.gif
 
I agree with STM. There's no story here, or if there is - it isn't clear enough.

If the thread title didn't have 'shed' in it, I would be wondering what that thing hanging in the middle was.

(And even now, it's just - "Oh, it's a shed - any number of weird things could be in there". I still don't know what it is. I assume it's for cleaning a fireplace, but it would not surprise me if I was wrong.)
 
Last edited:
Me to feel inclusion of some extension of wall or some foreground object can give more life to this image. I even thought of a real human figure there, more aptly an old one ;)
 
A lot of potential here... Keep the ring but make it less of a focal point............
 
I disagree regarding the crop, I like it just fine ;) What I don't like it the reflectivity of the glossy image on the right. Overall it looks like a collage, a painting.
 
I agree with Trever. The major fault I see here, is that the pictures have too much direct reflection, causing glare, which makes it hard to really see the old photos.

To fix this, you just need to get the light source out of the family of angles...and since they are flat images, you'd just need to have the light source off to the side a little more.
 
Thanks all.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom