Great Blue Heron...FINALLY!!

HikinMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesinthebackcountry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’ve been trying to capture a Great Blue Heron (GBH), close up, for some time now. Every time I get closer they fly away. Yesterday I drove out to the Merced NWR, just because. Didn’t plan on getting anything, not even a sunset photo as there were no clouds. I just thought I’d drive the loop anyway. I see this guy sitting along the road….waiting for something. Since it was after sunset, lighting was getting bad, but who cares, right? As I usually do, I take a few photos, move closer (in the car) etc. I got pretty close….I was happy! I thought I’d try and get out of the van and get closer. Keep in mind I have to sit and scoot on my butt because of my legs. I got a few more shots and he flew away.

_MG_0318.jpg

5D, 300mm f/4L, 1.4x II, ISO 3200, 1/100, f/5.6

Very nice, Mike. Excellent focus and composition. I love shooting GBH's. It's one of those birds that I don't feel I need a 600mm f/4 to get.

BTW --- I just spent the past little while really enjoying your blog photography.

Very nice, I don't have anything more than a 300mm, but even still I can get no where close, not even redwing blackbird, they spook when I bring the gear out

Very nice. I know at least in my experience and around my stomping grounds how hard it can be to get close to one of these

BTW --- I just spent the past little while really enjoying your blog photography.
Thanks Ian! I did the same. You've been to a lot of different places!

Very nice, I don't have anything more than a 300mm, but even still I can get no where close, not even redwing blackbird, they spook when I bring the gear out
FWIW, I can't get close enough with the Redwing Blackbirds either!! :lol:

Thanks everybody for looking. :blushing:

Nice! Congrats on getting pictures before he flew away! I've been trying to get one on the other side of my lake for the past 10 years without any luck.

Great shot! Tack sharp! Great composition! The only thing I flaw that I can find to nit-pick is that I find the blurred grass in the lower right to be distracting.

Most reactions

Back