Great Egret

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was at one of my favorite waterfowl haunts this morning in hopes that I might get a shot of one of the Double-Crested Cormorants that eluded me the last time I was there. I had been there a couple of hours and was getting hot and tired and thirsty so I started to put my camera up. A little voice inside told me to "Give it a few more minutes ..." so I said what the heck. A few minutes later I started to put my stuff up again and that little voice piped up with "Just a couple more minutes ..." so, once again, I said what the heck. This time it was worth it. I saw a shadow come over my head and looked up to see 5 Great Egrets gliding around the cove I was standing by.

2013-07-20-15.jpg

2013-07-20-16.jpg

2013-07-20-17.jpg

2013-07-20-19.jpg

2013-07-20-20.jpg

I did get the Cormorant as well, just not the shots I wanted. They are odd birds compared to most ducks since they swim almost completely submerged. Just their head, neck, and the very top of their back out of the water. From a distance they almost look like a large snake swimming with it's head out of the water. But, at least I got a couple of shots of one.

2013-07-20-13.jpg

2013-07-20-14.jpg

All were shot with a Nikon D7000, Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. EXIF data is embedded in the images for those who want to see it.

oldhippy

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Love number four, what a great capture. The white against that deep green, and the wings in the downward position. Just great. Ed

OP
SCraig

SCraig

Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. The 4th shot was my favorite as well, I prefer the wings in the full up or full down position.

This was the first time I had ever seen Great Egrets so I was thrilled to get the shots. This place is fast becoming one of my favorite places though since each time I've been there I've seen something unique ;)

Most reactions

ClickASnap