Great Horned Owl

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems a pair of GHO have decided to spend the winter in my spot. I first saw one in October, but now I see them almost every morning. I haven't been able to get as close as I was to the Barred owl, but figured I would share a few. Owls always seem to have branches sticking out of their heads :(

1 - This owl was being harassed by crows. The early morning lighting was as moody as the owl...

Great Horned Owl by krisinct, on Flickr
2- The pair. I'm guessing the female is pregnant since it should only be about 10-20% bigger than the male..

Pair of great horned owls by krisinct, on Flickr
3 - Alone

Great horned owl by krisinct, on Flickr

I really like the second one despite the branch being in the way.

They are all nice. I think that the perspective hurts the second one from becoming the great picture it could have been had it been able to change that.. but probably not. The third one is a great picture I think. It is a good perspective. Sharp focus and a good pose. Having the branch coming out of it's back so to speak shows the camouflage ability that the owls feathers have. Than ks for sharing and very very nice! :)

You're so lucky just to have them around! That is really cool. Who doesn't love a beautiful owl?? :)

As always, the perspective is what is challenging when photographing any type of tree critters. If there is an adjacent tree you could climb up, that would help - or even a study ladder. That and a telephoto lens would help. You know what they say, if it were easy then everyone would do it! ;) I think the third image is the best, though the bottom branch is mildly distracting. The second one isn't bad, either - here, the branches act more as frames as they huddle together - so cute!!

The crows aren't going to be nice to them. They're competing for the food! :lol:

Keep up the good work!

#3 is may favorite because you got some light into the eyes.

Nice catches, now that they are hanging around take the time to work them a bit more. Don't forget to get out when the sun is not out, cloudy or early/late in the day. For some reason owls and bright sunshine just don't seem to fit together well. We think of them as creatures of the night.

Lucky you! These are excellent as always.

Yes I agree "lucky you". I would love to get a shot of these birds. I have a preference for no.2 :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back