Greetings from South Carolina my fellow photogs, might I join the party?

CJGantt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for a few days now in search of a new home to share and grow my photographic skills. I am coming from a forum that I use to love and now hate to visit because everyone has became so hypercritical of those who post less oftens work. I will not mention any names, but the forum is dedicated to Canon users. The last straw was a few days ago when I posted an image to their Glamor section after years of reluctance to only get berated and belittled because I did happen to have a little selective color in the image.

This place seems much friendlier and much more informative to those who are looking to grow their skills and who wish for true constructive criticism. So anyway lets get on to me and who I am.

My name is Charles and I am from a small horse town in SC called Aiken. I have resided here all my life and at just a few months shy of 30, I can honestly say that I never want to live anywhere else. Shortly after college I took some inheritance and opened up a small studio here in town. I mainly concentrated on wedding photography, couples portraits, and sports photography for several colleges and schools in the area. After a few years the downfall in the economy took its toll and I was forced to close up shop in 2009. I packed up everything but a few lenses and my bodies and put the rest into storage in my garage. Unfortunately last July I lost that home to a fire that consumed anything and everything in its path. I managed to save my every day knock around Canon 30D and a 28-135 but that was it. PCs, Gear, everything gone. I had been doing web design with a friends company, but recently took a full time position at a tech news site which pays much better.

Over the last year I have been slowly buying gear as I could afford it, and while most of it is very entry level, I have managed to take some very respectable photos with less than I ever started with before. So now that I am getting back into things, I have a EOS 60D, EF 50mm f/1.8 Metal Mount, that 28-135 IS, and just today I purchased a Sigma 28mm F/1.8 EX DG Macro. For lighting I have several Yongnuo speedlites, some stands, umbrellas, and softboxes. I do not have much time to shoot during the week anymore, but I have a wonderful girlfriend who lets me full indulge into my passion on the weekends. Recently I have been building out a spare room at her house to shoot boudoir in and hopefully by this time next year I can re-open a studio.

Anyways, that is the full story on me. I have a feeling that I will like this place much better than the last (so much so that I already upgraded to supporting member, and I hope that I can learn and help others learn a little more about this technique we use to capture photons.

Welcome to TPF Charles, It is nice to have some background information on you. I am terribly sorry for your losses, but I do hope you enjoy your stay here. There are some great "mentor-like" figures all around the site, hope to see some of your work soon.

Cheers,

Andy

Welcome! Most of us hate (Dislike?) selective color also.. for good reason!

Last edited:
Why hate it? Photography is a form of Art and as such we should support all our brothers and sisters who chose to participate in this medium. Picasso was not Rembrandt, but that does not make his works any less amazing.

Why hate it? Photography is a form of Art and as such we should support all our brothers and sisters who chose to participate in this medium. Picasso was not Rembrandt, but that does not make his works any less amazing.

I don't hate photography... I hate (dislike? Is that better) amateurish techniques that seldom improve an image. (brothers and sisters? ok.. if you say so...)

I suppose there is no "BAD" art?

Hello and welcome to the forum Charles!

Welcome to the site.

I suppose there is no "BAD" art?

Sure there is.

Joe

I agree! But some people say "it's art" as an excuse.. like that makes a bad (image, painting, etc...) good! I know you have seen that, Joe... it just makes me shake my head in awe sometimes.

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm in Charleston. I used to play baseball up in Aiken.

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay as much as i have.

Most reactions

Back