Group 1 C&C

Sherman Banks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple random shots for group critique.

Concept: Take two different patterns and combine them for a double exposure effect.
3614352718_e5c39fbc0b_o.jpg

The concept is pretty obvious. The process in getting it wasn't so easy though. Details found here.
3632067314_087d809eab_o.jpg

1. This shot is very interesting. The second exposure really gives the main visual interest a great texture. Personally, I do not see this as too 'busy,' but it might come up. Nice concept!

2. Cool portrait (self portrait?). Anyway, I like 'light writing' but whenever I do it, it just comes out looking a bit cheesy (maybe using weird colors like green and red arent the greatest idea :lol: ...but I digress). Why 50?

;) 50mm? nice shot. i will be reading the details.

the first one is rather cool but i cant make head or tails of it.

Both are pretty neat, the second one particularly. Shows lots of creativity.

Is the first one taken through a sheer curtain, perchance?

The first one is very interesting. I like it alot. :) I like the creativity in the second one. I just wish the firngers hadn't been cut off.

nice shots man!
def digging both.

first one looks like 2 shots of greenery and then layered with blend modes altered?

second one is awesome...def beats the same ol' light painting shots.

very cool and creative!

These are both very interesting. The first one, I'm unsure about the blown out section near the top right. I think I would have liked it to be more consistently lit all the way through?? Does that make sense? Still, who am I to critique...I have no idea how you take two pictures and merge them into one. :sillysmi:

Number 2 is great. Very fun and creative. I like your choice of lighting the subject (you?). My only critique is the clipped fingertips, but that was already mentioned. It looks perfect otherwise.

The first one, I'm unsure about the blown out section near the top right. I think I would have liked it to be more consistently lit all the way through??
Just throwing in my two cents here, but I think that the blown out area is actually essential for this photo to work. It acts as a place to rest your eyes amongst all of the activity in the rest of the frame, otherwise it might be too much and be a bit uncomfortable to look at.

Wow, that's a lot of feedback so far! Thanks!

The first is just two different shots layered and blended just as Sr. Biscuit had guessed. I wanted some extremes with the main exposure's lighting so the green would pop. It was taken facing up at the sun so the blowout was intentional, but I was trying to keep it to a minimum (maybe a bit much as Linda has noted). It was really inspired by Bitter's abstract post and but I didn't want to cop his style.

The second is for day 50 of my 365. I was considering using the 50mm, but I was lacking space and had to shoot at a wider focal length (25mm). Unfortunately I was shooting these myself so I couldn't frame it perfectly, hence the asymmetry and chopped fingers. It was a very challenging shot to get right because the 50 had to look good and be placed correct (without causing too much flare), I had to set down the flash light, throw the remote in my pocket and stay in the same plane I set to focus for, all in the dark. And then wait for like 10 sec for the camera to process the shot. Was worth it though.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Most reactions

Back