Group Portraits

BoxPhotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm probably going to be paid for some group portraits for 2-5 people not sure yet. Any ideas for location, lighting, settings, setup, poses etc? I know this is a broad topic but I'm really not an expert at group photos. Ask me questions if you need more clarification.

P.S. It's Winter here.

P.S. Would a tripod be a good idea?

Last edited:
I do a lot of searching the web when I have new photos to take that I'm not used to. Like groups (I'm more into babies and children)! I'd search Flickr and see what others do. You could take some nice indoor "studio" looking photos and then have them go outside and do some cute snow fighting fun photos or if there is no snow just take some with their winter attire (hats, gloves, etc..) on. That way you have a little of both. I like to try to do things that they could get going to Portrait Innovations.
As far as set up....I'm no pro, but I bought a set off Ebay, it came with a backstand, backdrop, case, two lights w/stands and two umbrella's, for like $140.00! It works GREAT! And looks alot nicer than my pvc set up I had before! :lol:

I second the Flickr research...its always nice to see what other people are doing! Group shots are hard to be spontanous....too many people LOL! But then you dont want to stair step them and look too generic. Good luck and I would love to see some of the pictures!

Be sure you don't use the 18-200. The barrel and pin cushion distortion in that lens is amazing and it does weird things to peoples faces/bodies. ;)

5.6 should give you enough depth of field to cover a small group without problems - remember to focus on the person who's middle-distance away. Unless the group are particularly active (!) or you can't use flash, stick to ISO-100.

I found some good poses for informal groups on YouTube searching under "Event Photography".

Yes, definitely tripod.

Lighting - there are lots of different ways to go... If you have two lights then one umbrella or softbox to one side could be good, but remember to arrange your distances so that the people on one side aren't much more brightly lit than those on the other. A bare flash behind the group would provide some rim-lighting to separate them from a dark background - with a light background point the flash at that instead.

Use an assistant to sit in where different places the group would sit, to check the focus and exposure... then you have your settings sorted out before you have the group sat in front of you.

Most reactions

Back